• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

I can't seem to find any way to change the colors that are being used in the Color Blocks dialog. I would have expected to see a randomizing seed somewhere so that all the textures generated with it wouldn't look so much alike.

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

If you want a hack for randomizing your Wood Workshop textures without buying the full Genetica (which will do everything you want plus pay your taxes):

1. Save the GTX in Wood Workshop.
2. Open the GTX in our other free app, Genetica Viewer: http://www.spiralgra...iewer/index.htm
3. Use the Seed property shown below.

Attached Images

• Seed.JPG

#3 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

If you want a hack for randomizing your Wood Workshop textures without buying the full Genetica (which will do everything you want plus pay your taxes):

1. Save the GTX in Wood Workshop.
2. Open the GTX in our other free app, Genetica Viewer: http://www.spiralgra...iewer/index.htm
3. Use the Seed property shown below.

I've been fiddling with the Genetica evaluation version, but I didn't see anything like that there either.

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

I've been fiddling with the Genetica evaluation version, but I didn't see anything like that there either.

:wacko: Well, try it for a while and youll be amazed :)

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#5 Court

Court

Staff

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

There are seed properties for many generating nodes. Here's an example:

By selecting a node from the tree you can see the properties at the bottom of the screen.
Gen_2.5_Seed_controls.jpg

In the lab nodes you can delve deeper by opening a lab tab.
Seed_inside_lab.jpg

#6 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

:wacko: Well, try it for a while and youll be amazed :)

Could you be more specific?

(Edit:) Hmmm... I guess I hit the reply button before the above post, because that wasn't there a couple of minutes ago. Thanks Court

(Edit:) Well, I've gone back and looked Genetica over a bit again, and it appears that the above directions aren't relevant to the Color Blocks facility inside the Cut & Tile Lab. If what I want to do is possible within the software can it be explained how? I know I can use the free viewer anyways, but I'm kinda curious if the property can be adjusted inside of the texture file.

Edited by MarkT, 29 April 2008 - 06:21 PM.

#7 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

I was just poking at WW to see if I could help you out.

All I can say is: Wow. Color blocks do some weird things, node wise.

Any chance you can post the gtx you're trying to manipulate with a description of what you're looking for? I'm not sure exactly what effect you're trying to achieve with the CBs. All they can do is tint the already colored board. In some cases your tint may have little to no effect it seems.

#8 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

I was just poking at WW to see if I could help you out.

All I can say is: Wow. Color blocks do some weird things, node wise.

Any chance you can post the gtx you're trying to manipulate with a description of what you're looking for? I'm not sure exactly what effect you're trying to achieve with the CBs. All they can do is tint the already colored board. In some cases your tint may have little to no effect it seems.

Well, what I'm wanting to do is take otherwise pretty similar textures tiled with the Cut & Tile lab, and color each tile slightly differently, per the Color Blocks dialog. However, each texture is colored identically... there's no facility in genetica for having the Color Blocks use a different seed for generating the color variation.

#9 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I think I understand. The color block only appears to have one color per line, whether it be horizontal or vertical so you get colored slats. You're looking to have each board a different color?

wood.png

Is that what you had in mind? If you got the demo of 2.5 pro you can convert the "Cut &Ttile" node to basic nodes, then all you have to do is "zoom out branch" on the "Select Pattern" node and you'll get more diverse colors.

#10 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

I think I understand. The color block only appears to have one color per line, whether it be horizontal or vertical so you get colored slats. You're looking to have each board a different color?

wood.png

Is that what you had in mind? If you got the demo of 2.5 pro you can convert the "Cut &Ttile" node to basic nodes, then all you have to do is "zoom out branch" on the "Select Pattern" node and you'll get more diverse colors.

Not quite... y'see.... what happens is if you create several similar textures, and try to use the color blocks dialog on them, each one gets colored the exact same way. Sure you can vary the blend color a bit for some variation, but that variation itself is consistent across the whole texture... what I'd like to do is create a bunch of non-identical tiles that look similar enough to appear to be from different places on the same surface, but themselves are not identical to eachother. The free viewer can do this... I find it odd that I cannot do it from within Genetica, storing the colors to be used in the texture file.

Edited by MarkT, 29 April 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#11 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, I was worried you were going to say that.

As far as I know (don't take that to be worth much, I'm new around here) you can't do that very easily. It's possible with regions and some work with colorize, but as far as I know it will take quite a bit of effort.

It might be slightly easier if you rendered a texture 4x larger than you wanted and cut it in to bits manually, but even that would take quite of bit of doing.

The day when they say that they've made a node that will take two or more nodes and make them seamless in relation to each other would be a happy day indeed.

Edit:
Wait...just saw that you said that the free viewer could do it. How? If the free viewer can then the full app should be able to too.

Edited by Cyngjoe, 29 April 2008 - 09:27 PM.

#12 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

The day when they say that they've made a node that will take two or more nodes and make them seamless in relation to each other would be a happy day indeed.

Hmmm... that would accomplish exactly the idea of the super-texture I was describing before in the requested features section. In fact, how you describe it is almost certainly a better way to handle it than what I was envisioning.

#13 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

Woohoo! I think I did it.

Two tile labs:
wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg

Two tile labs after applying my filter:
wood2.jpg
wood1.jpg

#14 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

How'd you do it? I mean from beginning to end. Thanks.

Edited by MarkT, 29 April 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#15 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

And the GTX file:
Attached File  woodseam.gtx   47.91KB   190 downloads

Instructions (If I remember correctly)

1) Replace "Top Boards - Seam" with the wooden tiles of your choice.
2) Replace "Select Pattern" with the select pattern use in 1)
3) Replace "Bottom Boards - New" with the wooden tiles of your choice that uses the same Select Pattern as 1) and 2)

Render and save 1)
Render and save texture.

1) and the texture should be able to be tiled together without seam.

If you change the select pattern, you will most likely have to redo a good portion of my work =) Hopefully it's a handy starting point for people though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users