19 replies to this topic

#1 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

All that talk of sketching and parchments in the other thread got me experimenting . . .

Attached Images

• Evil_Parchment.jpg

#2 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Why do you always get to have all the fun with the shiny new toys? :D

*jealous*

*goes off in search for $700 for V3 studio*

#3 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Same drawing, different filtering. The inspiration for this was a cheesy futuristic vampire movie I saw where the vampire liked to paint his symbols on the walls of his victims' rooms in florescent paint and then leave a black-light on . . . I guess so that it would look cool when the cops showed up LOL . . .

Attached Images

• Vampiric_Warning.jpg

#4 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

And here's a version with a more magical theme.

Posted Image
www.gifninja.com

#5 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

Why do you always get to have all the fun with the shiny new toys? :angry:

Fun? This is serious quality-testing work for my users. No fun here. Honest. Ok, I'm making textures at 8pm on a Friday night--I guess you caught me. :wacko: :D

#6 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

As usual these are great :wacko: looks like we are sorted for marker pens and neon pens/paints :D

#7 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

:D

Any chance we can take a look under the hood on that one? Is it just all vectors and styles?

#8 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

That's not evil. It's the right way up, so it's wiccan, the church of nature, witches. Not evil. :D
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#9 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

:blink:

Any chance we can take a look under the hood on that one? Is it just all vectors and styles?

No, it's not all vectors and styles. Although you could make the entire texture in the Canvas node, I find that the quickest way to work is to use a mix of vectors and nodes for whatever is the easiest way to make any given element.

Under_the_Hood_a.JPG

Under_the_Hood.JPG

That's not evil. It's the right way up, so it's wiccan, the church of nature, witches. Not evil. :D

Well, shoot. If I had known that I would have flipped that pentagram right around. :wacko: :angry:

#10 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

That's not evil. It's the right way up, so it's wiccan, the church of nature, witches. Not evil. B)

Dude with the horns doesn't look too friendly though :P

#11 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

No, it's not all vectors and styles. Although you could make the entire texture in the Canvas node, I find that the quickest way to work is to use a mix of vectors and nodes for whatever is the easiest way to make any given element.

Well, shoot. If I had known that I would have flipped that pentagram right around. B) :P

Thank you for that, very enlightening. However, I must be an idiot because I still can't wrap my head around it. Any chance I can see the gtx file?

...oh...wait. I'd need the beta for that to do me any good...hrmm...

*puppy dog eyes*

#12 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:49 AM

Great job! i can only imagine the possibilities this creates B)

i like the glowing neon transitions too by the way :P indeed very magical, too bad i gave my copy of oblivion (pc) away :) i could make killer mods with gen3.0 ;)

#13 lord_midnight

lord_midnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:43 AM

ok lesson time

the pentangle, now pentacle, is an astronomical symbol that describes the path of the planet venus as it appears as "the morning star" over an 8 year period. the circle represents the horizon. the planet mercury creates a star of david type path.

end lesson

sorry, but I get rather sick of lies being spread about this ancient symbol. it also maps the pythagorean ratio, the golden ratio numerous ways. it is a symbol of mathematics and astronomy from a long time ago, nothing more. unfortunately, Hollywood is where we make our living...

[url="http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PP.html"]http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PP.html[/url]

[url="http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/venus.html"]http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/venus.html[/url]

Edited by lord_midnight, 24 June 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#14 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:13 AM

More information about this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram

Edited by Sethren, 23 June 2008 - 03:14 AM.

#15 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

Ancient symbols often get adopted by various cultures as the centuries roll on. The page Sethren linked to did a good job of listing the various ways the symbol has been used over time, beginning with the Greeks who invented it, and continuing on with the Christians, Jews, Pagans, Satanists, and others who have borrowed the symbol for their own purposes.

Edit: My bad. The pentagram first appeared in Mesopotamia a couple thousand years before Pythagoras.

Edited by Atlas, 25 June 2008 - 12:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users