Texture Rights/Licensing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steph_*

Guest_Steph_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:02 AM

Hi there,

Just curious, are there any problems with using these textures in a commercial form?
Are there any royalties that need paying or is it completely free? Any other issues
regarding commercial usage?

Thanks a lot!

#2 Court

Court

Staff

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:07 PM

Hey Steph,

The images you generate with our texture software, whether that be the Wood Workshop or Genetica, are royalty free with no strings attached. This includes commercial usage.

Court

Edit: Please see Court's next post, a few posts down in this thread, which is a little clearer.

Edited by Atlas, 18 December 2008 - 02:30 PM.

#3 lord_midnight

lord_midnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

sorry to necro this, but on a related note, what about .gtx's we gather from the board here ?

there are several user posted files here, a few that will save me ages, many are by Atlas himself, but should I assume unless otherwise stated they are permissible for commercial output as well ?

#4 Lynda

Lynda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

sorry to necro this, but on a related note, what about .gtx's we gather from the board here ?

there are several user posted files here, a few that will save me ages, many are by Atlas himself, but should I assume unless otherwise stated they are permissible for commercial output as well ?

Don't assume that any of mine are for your commercial use.

Lynda

#5 lord_midnight

lord_midnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Don't assume that any of mine are for your commercial use.

Lynda

Ok, will do! /smileNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':notworthy:' />

Edited by lord_midnight, 29 May 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#6 Court

Court

Staff

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

Any textures released by Spiral Graphics including those posted by staff on the forums are royalty-free. You can read our usage rights here.

Textures posted by forum members are not included under the same rights. There are many generous members here who are willing to help others with texturing questions and also to share their work freely. However, it is appropriate to ask permission to use membersí textures on a case by case basis.

#7 lord_midnight

lord_midnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

cool, very cool. I actually read that before a couple times, I made a texture pack I released on the daz forums a while back, and I just sent a half dozen to the team-dystopia guys. I made sure in both the zip files to include a readme that stated I made them with Spiral Graphics software, and listed the URL as well. I make my living from 3D, not from peoples backs. I am more than happy to spread the word on the software. This is one of the most giving companies/communities I have encountered.

#8 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

If I post a GTX here, I'm giving permission for it to be used. And why you don't see too many of my SL texture GTXs here. :notworthy:
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#9 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Me too. Anyone can use my textures. Of course, I post some modified textures that other members have shared on the forum. But you will see that I say who the texture came from originally so you know who to ask if you were to want to use it commercially.

I think its great people share their textures here even if they don't want them to be used commercially. I learn alot of tricks just by seeing the node setups.

:notworthy:

#10 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

If i ever release a texture project, im fine with it being used in a creative way like a 3d project of a design however i don't like it when people just render it exactly as it is before and sell it like people have been doing with filter forge etc. So yeah im fine with it if it's done creativly rather than just rendering it out and claiming it as your own type thing :faint: Although i know not many people do that but if you do you CAN'T use my textures like that ;)

#11 Zenster

Zenster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

This is one of the most giving companies/communities I have encountered.

Even as a raw novice, I could not agree more. Wood Workshop is an excellent toolbox and the denizens of this forum take away nothing from that perception. As others have noted about theirs, my own creations are not for use without permission but the Rotation Procedure I've contributed is most certainly in the public domain. Again, a very cool site with some very nice netizens!

#12 Raivann

Raivann

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

If I post a GTX here, I'm giving permission for it to be used. And why you don't see too many of my SL texture GTXs here. :)

What manley said, except that I put some of my SL ones here too, but if they're here, they're Genetica and you have full permissions from me. Having said that, it's always nice to add your own little touch to make it yours.

Edited by Raivann, 01 June 2008 - 10:52 AM.

#13 Andy Carolan

Andy Carolan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:52 AM

Can I just add to this that as I produce any Genetica textures, I will post them on this forum and yes, anyone can use them for commercial or other uses.
Andy Carolan Illustration and Design

New members can't link.andy-carolan.co.uk

#14 TKSniper

TKSniper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

If I post a GTX here, I'm giving permission for it to be used. And why you don't see too many of my SL texture GTXs here. /winkNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I'm with you there. I will gladly share textures that didn't take allot of time to make. Many others I make get used for commercial use in SL, wheather they are made with various grfx editors or Genetica.

#15 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

Any textures released by Spiral Graphics including those posted by staff on the forums are royalty-free. You can read our usage rights here.

Hey Court, how do we know what are the posts from the staff? I mean, is there any list or is it just Atlas and you from the staff that use to post gtx files here?

Cheers,
Penguin.

Not iStockphoto member yet? Do you want to get 10 free credits to start downloading stock photos? Click here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users