29 replies to this topic

#1 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

I finally finished working on this tutorial. As quick as this texture was to make, writing the tutorial took a lot longer :clap:

This tutorial will manipulate an imported seamless stone photo to make floor tiles. If you plan to use your own material photo you should make it seamless in your photo editor of choice. There are several tutorials that can be found on the internet on how to do this. Here is one example: http://forums.cgsoci...ad.php?t=376830

If you prefer not to use a photo, you can also design your own texture in Genetica or if you are new to the program, choose from one of many preset stone materials to start. If you’d like to use a preset, select one from the start menu and skip to Step #4

Here we go!

1) Select File > New

2) Right click the empty square to import a photo (i.e. stone material)
Posted Image

The properties can be found at the bottom of the interface. Click import image.
Posted Image

3) The photo in our example looks a little bland. We can change the Brightness, Contrast and Intensity by right clicking to insert a Change BCI node (optional)
Posted Image
Above we see how to insert a basic node that can be used to manipulate the texture. Play with the BCI node settings as desired in the properties panel at the bottom of the interface.

4) To transform our current texture into a floor tile pattern we insert Cut & Tile Lab node by right clicking the last node we inserted.
Posted Image

5) Open Cut & Tile Lab properties
Posted Image
The above image shows what your node tree should look like after inserting the Cut & Tile Lab node.

6) Highlight the Select Pattern section in the list by clicking. Now choose the Crisscross Pattern with the Select Type button.
Posted Image

7) Highlight the Mortar Width section and set the Mortar Width to a value of 5.
Posted Image

8) Move to the Bevel section by clicking and adjust the Bevel Properties as follows: Width 20; Depth 10; Curve 15.
Posted Image

9) Lastly, edit the Mortar Material section: Opacity 100; Depth 15; Speckle Density 80; Grit Density 70; Grit Depth 30. Choose colors that work well with your texture.
Posted Image

You are done editing your texture!

10) Render Texture
Posted Image

This is what the final result should look like:
http://i87.photobuck...enderResult.jpg

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

Thank you, Eclair. That's awesome! ;)

I think that this will be the thread I link to from now on when we get questions about how to import an image. :clap:

#3 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

I went over to cgsociety and in particular the seamless part of the tutorial was well done and easy to understand. Excellent job on that! :clap:

#4 rob

rob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:22 AM

This is great!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

#5 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys! Glad you all liked it. It's a fairly simple tutorial. But thought it would be nice for people starting out with Genetica or those who have been working with photos to make textures. This is a nice way to integrate photos and procedural texturing.

Oh btw Rob, is that your dog in the avatar? What kind of dog is that? It looks kinda like a boxer to me.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Eclair, 23 September 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#6 rob

rob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:35 AM

Yes, this is my dog. It's a Boxer indeed. Her name is Lola, and she is 8 years old.

#7 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

Aww, she's cute! This is totally off topic but what can you tell me about her or boxers in general? personality traits? how active, etc? I eventually want to get another dog and boxers have been on the list to be considered. I'm pretty familar with dobermans since I grew up with them.

#8 rob

rob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

You get addicted to the boxer once you have one. It is a very active dog, even when they are old. In the beginning you have to pay much attention to them. (they are very presence) My boxer is a rather dominant dog, especially to small dogs. So we have a bad reputation in the park :-) We have friends on a farm, and then she is a real watchdog. At home she is very easy, but she likes visitors.(picture) Once you have a boxer, you never want another race again.

Attached Images

• visitor.jpg

#9 Webmist

Webmist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

Hi Eclair,

Can I port this tutorial over to our website. Now that I've got my big move over with I can get back to having some fun. I wanted to start some tutorials but not in the middle of moving.

[url="http://www.geneticatextures.com"]Genetica Textures[/url]
"You're just jealouse because the voices only talk to me."
My gaming obsession Sims2Smart
Genetica Textures - Your Genetica Resources

#10 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

Sure thing Webmist, you can copy over the tutorial for your website. Hopefully I'll have time in the future to work on another tutorial.

Great pic Rob. Lola is very cute! And she's like one of my old dogs who despite his size thought he was a lap dog :rolleyes:

#11 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Thanks both of you for helping the community. :rolleyes: Webmist, if the pack textures could be put to any type of use that would enhance your site, please feel free.

Webmist I just noticed your Sims 2 mod site in your signature. Made any nice mods with Genetica textures? :D

#12 mosk

mosk

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

Eclair - thanks for the simple tut. As a Genetica beginner, I found it very useful.

#13 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Oh haha, I made that quite a while ago! You're welcome. Glad it was useful for you. Maybe I'll get back into making tutorials again soon, but any of the complex stuff takes forever to write out as a written tutorial. Making a video would probably be quicker to explain stuff! :thumbsup:

#14 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Oh haha, I made that quite a while ago! You're welcome. Glad it was useful for you. Maybe I'll get back into making tutorials again soon, but any of the complex stuff takes forever to write out as a written tutorial. Making a video would probably be quicker to explain stuff! :thumbsup:

I agree, however, (for me) its more usefull to be able to read/print a document and use it offline as well.

i made a ok texturing tutorial a while ago (in dutch though) wich ill upload to scribd later on. its not genetica based though, but almost all of the stuff in it can be done with genetica (setting up a transparancy mask/alpha, getting a specular map and a bump map out of a image etc)

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#15 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Oh, this is will be a big help Eclair and Funkdude for us the newcomers. Thank you in advance for your contribution.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users