9 replies to this topic

#1 icStatic

icStatic

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi all,

Genetica newbie here, I am currently evaluating Genetica for use on a game project (I've got about 2 weeks left on the trial) but am having trouble getting to grips with generating the effect maps I need.

Looking through the tutorials it shows a drop down list of effect maps, but these are not available from substance lab. I can generate a normal map by using the normal map button - but if I understand things correctly - that normal map will be generated from the final texture, not the height map - so it will be a good approximation but not perfect.

The specular map is not available at all, only a generic Substance map. The information is there - I want to extract the Elevate and Shine components of the lab and use these to generate the height (and then the normal map from this) and the specular map respectively.

I had a mess around and found the 'Convert Lab to Basic Nodes' option which I assume will let me at the sub components but this is not available in the demo version. I don't want to just buy the software on the assumption that it will do what I want. Is there any way around this (without building it again from scratch with each of the components from Substance Lab)?

Also, does anyone know if its possible to generate a set of textures which have the same tiling edges but a different centre? If you tile the textures repeatedly they often look silly at a distance as the tiled pattern becomes apparent. This is especially obvious on the texture I've generated. I'm wondering if it would be possible to generate textures that tile, but have different details within them - this might lessen the tiled appearance of the texture.

Cheers!

Attached Files

• Attached File  Soil.gtx   4.61KB   31 downloads

#2 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Make a search for "specular maps" in this forum and you will find a number of topics that may be helpful.

This is one of them: http://www.spiralfor...?showtopic=9948

Edited by MonsterMind, 19 February 2012 - 04:33 PM.

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

There are some textures you can paste below your texture to generate a specular map. Some on the forum, and one on my blog, Kay-Vriend.name under automated effect map creation. What I usually do is make a noise first, then put a group underneath, and inside the group make the substance based on the mouse, and also the effect maps. I'll post an example tomorrow. Welcome to the forum by the way!

(null)

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

It should be based on the noise, not mouse. Sorry haha! (damn you autocorrect!)

(null)

#5 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Here is the link to the blog post I made.

http://kay-vriend.name/?p=16

I actually got inspired to make it by the link that was posted before. My GTX does a similar thing, but makes an AO map as well, and has a slightly different setup.

(null)

Edited by Funkdude, 19 February 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#6 icStatic

icStatic

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Here is the link to the blog post I made.

New members can't link//kay-vriend.name/?p=16

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed and it does a fantastic job! I may be in touch shortly to ask for permission to use this - assuming I decide to go ahead and purchase Genetica.

#7 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

Hi! Glad it helps you out a bit. Well  the main rule on my blog is, feel free to use anything, but be sure to link back to my blog and please send me an email/show my email address in the credits/description.

So no weird strings attached.  I would love to see what you are working on :)

Cheers!

#8 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

Here are some pointers. (Be sure to put a clear maps underneath the substance lab node to clear its noise from the effect map list. Unless you want to use it that is).

Noise, clear maps, groups..png
Storing Effect maps..png
Effect maps included..png
Attached File  Soil.gtx   5.74KB   37 downloads

#9 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Also, does anyone know if its possible to generate a set of textures which have the same tiling edges but a different centre? If you tile the textures repeatedly they often look silly at a distance as the tiled pattern becomes apparent. This is especially obvious on the texture I've generated. I'm wondering if it would be possible to generate textures that tile, but have different details within them - this might lessen the tiled appearance of the texture.

The attached GTX shows a possible way. Note there are two different versions of the texture, each with the Seed property set to a different value.

Attached Files

#10 icStatic

icStatic

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

The attached GTX shows a possible way. Note there are two different versions of the texture, each with the Seed property set to a different value.

Ah I see, clever! Thanks for the help with that. I had worried that the seams would be more apparent but it doesn't seem as bad as I expected. I guess you could also use different masks to add additional variation. There appears to be a bit of colour difference between the inside and outside of the mask but that should be easy to fix with a bit of fiddling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: substance lab, effect maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users