New Features and Improvements
1. Text has come to Genetica! Use the Text tool within the Canvas node to place and edit text, including change font, bold/italic settings, text alignment, and character spacing.
2. Apply styles to text objects, making the creation of exotic text objects quick and painless!
3. A new preset category "Text" has been added to the Start tab with a handful of textures exemplifying the kinds of effects that can be created with the new text tool.
4. The new Style node (found in the Advanced category) allows artists to apply styles to your own height maps! This unleashes Styles from the Canvas node and allows them to be used with procedural designs.
5. Group inputs have been moved from their hidey-hole at the left of the interface to a more prominent location along the top of the workspace. Use inputs in multiple places as easily as dragging down more wires from the inputs bar.
6. Drag a node into the inputs bar to create a group input in a single step.
7. Rearrange a group's inputs by dragging them in the inputs bar.
8. The irritating menus that appear right after you drag-and-drop nodes in the workspace to ask if you want to "Replace With", "Insert Below", or "Replace, Keep Inputs" have been removed. Instead, Genetica will figure out the operation you wanted to perform based on where you dropped the node. Drop a node on top of a different one to do a replace operation, or drop it below a different one to do an insert below operation.
9. If you know the name of the node you want to insert, instead of hunting for it in the library, click in the workspace and type the first few letters of the node you want. Click the name of an existing node to replace it with a different one, click just below a node to have the new node inserted below the existing one, or click a blank part of the workspace to insert a disconnected node.
10. You can now drag a second output wire from the bottom of the node if you want to use it in more than one location. Genetica will automatically set up the needed Groups and References.
11. Working on a non-seamless image or effect? The Gaussian Blur node now has a Seamless property allowing you to turn seamless wrapping off for that node.
12. Don't hunt for your commonly used folders any more when opening or saving your work. Little triangles have been added next to key buttons that will let you pick from among your recently used folders.
13. No more guessing about what may happen when you drag nodes from the library into the workspace. A node outline will now snap to various items in the workspace as you drag, giving a clearer indication of what will happen if you release the mouse there.
14. The point of shape groups in the Canvas node is to make them act as a single unit, but sometimes you want to easily select individual shapes within the group. Now you can click a shape multiple times in order to cycle the selection between the entire group, and sub-groups, and the shape itself.
15. Design plans in Canvas will now appear semi-transparent over your drawing, making it much easier to continue following your plan, even after you've drawn over it!
16. There's a new way to open GTX files: Drag them from Windows Explorer and drop them into a currently running Genetica instance.
17. The Edit Style dialog has a new presets category "Component" that includes basic styles that will be useful when the Canvas node isn't being used to create the finished result, but rather an individual component of a more complex node-based construction.
Fixes and Tweaks
18. When dragging a node in from the library panel, you can simultaneously scroll the view if needed by dragging the near the edges of the workspace.
19. When scrolling the view by dragging a node to the edge of the workspace, the view will now scroll faster the further past the edge you drag. It's kind of like your own personal accelerator pedal, right in Genetica.
20. In the past you wanted to minimize Genetica, but you couldn't because you're within a dialog such as Edit Style or Edit Environment Map. Now you can minimize major dialogs, which will cause Genetica as a whole to minimize. Get an eyeful of your naughty Windows wallpaper as often as you like.
21. Until now, pasting shapes into a Canvas document would always put them at the bottom of the current layer. Pasted shapes will not appear above whatever shape was previously selected. Most importantly, this means that you can now paste shapes directly into groups.
22. Long time Genetica users remember the hassle of copying your old style, synthesis, and environment presets each time you get a new version of Genetica. Now Genetica will automatically find all your old editor presets so you no longer have to.
23. Argh! With each new version of Genetica you need to re-enter your author info. Well, you'll need to enter it again, sorry. But at least this will be the last time. The new version of Genetica stores the author info in a place that will be found by future versions. I think.
24. Issue corrected where if you were using the Synthesis node to bomb shapes surrounded by hard-edged transparency, an unwanted black outline would appear around each shape.
25. The Texture Synthesis dialog > Patches > Auto > Scale slider has been capped at 500 since values above that did not provide useful results.
26. Bug corrected where clicking Edit Full Size in the Texture Synthesis dialog and then X-ing out the popup without making changes could cause manually placed patches to vanish.
27. Corrected bug where using manual patch placement in the Texture Synthesis dialog could cause the dialogs preview to freeze.
28. Fixed bug where if you copy/pasted a Synthesis node that used an imported image, changed the imported image on the copy, and then re-entered the original Synthesis node, it would goof.
29. Bug fixed where it was impossible to reference-copy a node by Ctrl-dragging it within a Group that had Inputs set to the maximum value, even if there were empty input slots available.
30. As well as being difficult to see, interface refresh could suffer when dragging huge node trees because entire tree would be painted as it was dragged. Now only the bottom few nodes are painted while dragged making it more responsive and easier to see.
31. You can now drag a node below an existing one, even if the node being dragged had inputs of its own.
32. Text strings in interface will no longer look strange on computers with ClearType turned off.
33. The output bump below each node in the workspace will now swell with pride whenever the mouse hovers over it. This is to remind users that the bump is not just there for looks any more, but can be clicked or dragged for good things to happen.
34. Genetica would sometimes goof if you copied the contents of the group, exited the group, and then pasted the contents over the group itself. No more!
35. In the bad old days you couldn't do a "Replace, Keep Inputs" operation if the node being copied in didn't have enough slots to accommodate all the inputs of the node being replaced. Now simply drag the new node over the old one and Genetica will keep as many inputs as possible.
36. Bug causing square artifacts in the middle of contour-gradient-using-styles has been zapped.
37. Issue fixed that could cause small shapes to not render in Canvas.
38. Anyone plagued by semi-regular goofs while making edits in the Canvas node may rejoice--the issue has been fixed.
39. When first opening Canvas drawings containing many layers and shapes, the layers will now be collapsed by default in the tree view, making it much easier to get an initial look of what elements are composing this drawing.
40. The Image Eyedropper tool, found within the Color dialog, would goof if the user tried to zoom an image without selecting an image first. Now buttons that shouldn't be used first are grayed out until an image is selected.
41. Corrected bug when creating custom curves within the Edit Curve dialog where handles directly on top of each other could break curve looping.
42. Fixed bug when creating custom curves within the Edit Curve dialog where placing one control point at position (0, 0) and another one at position (50, 100) would fail to create a symmetrical bell curve.
43. The irritating message that would appear if you opened a file dialog in Genetica and the previously used folder had since been deleted has been removed. Instead, if the previously used folder isn't found, it simply opens to your Documents folder without complaining.
44. For interface continuity, solid color and gradient property controls are now surrounded by the same single-pixel border that other advanced property controls are surrounded by.
45. Issue corrected in Gradient dialog where if you manually typed a new position for a selected handle, neglected to press Enter, and then attempted to change the handle's color or closed the dialog by clicking OK, its position would be lost.
46. Fixed the "Wrap Y:" label placement in the Edit Curve dialog. This label was several pixels below other text in the line.
47. If the Canvas > View tool > Height Map button is activated for a drawing that has no height map, the workspace will go black instead of doing nothing at all.
48. When beginning a large batch render operation, instead of appearing frozen while checking the files to see if any resources need to be downloaded before beginning the operation, Genetica will not display a progress bar.
49. Bug fix where the Canvas preview would freeze if you made a change and then quickly changed the selection before the preview had a chance to begin rendering.
50. A very rare bug fixed that could appear if two instances of Genetica were closed almost simultaneously.
Edited by Atlas, 20 May 2011 - 07:48 PM.