• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neural_Echo

Neural_Echo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have just discovered that Allegrorithmic is partnering with various tool creators (such as Autodesk and Unity3d) to provide inbuilt support for 'Substances' (procedurally generated textures) created with the Allegorithmic tools. They have also announced a partnership with TurboSquid to create a Substance marketplace. These announcements can be viewed on the Allegorithmic web site.

As someone who owns (and loves) Genetica, these developments are concerning as it appears that Allegorithmic may be positioning itself as the de facto industry standard for inbuilt procedural texture generation, as it reduces the texture footprint size for games and other texture rich applications.

Does Genetica have an API that would allow Genetica's procedural texture generation system to be integrated into, or supported by, Unity3d and the other tools?

I realise the primary benefit of having inbuilt procedural texture generation is to reduce the amount of texture data required for streamed and/or mobile applicaitons, but I feel that the partnership between Allegorithmic and the various tool creators presents a real threat to the viability of independent tools such as Genetica. I hope that Atlas and the guys at Genetica can create a similar capability, or have another strategy, that can effectively counter this threat.

As a side note, I have watched some videos on using the Allegorithmic tools and the ability to view real time changes in an interactive 3D preview window would be an awesome feature to have within Genetica.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

They have some nice textures/substances/materials. But i think all of them can be made in genetica as well, perhaps even easier/faster too. I'm not bashing other software, but featurewise Genetica and the Substance software arerelatively simmilar, where genetica features environments and animation. So i think that studio's/developers might go for the software with the most features (which is as i believe genetica.) Even more so when there is a genetica plug-in for 3d software perhaps.

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#3 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

I don't think it's a threat at all myself, people will still always want texture making tools like genetica because direct materials on objects is not the best way always and doesn't give the greatest of control either and also there is so many uses for genetica like 2d work also.

I have a feeling that Allegrorithmic had API use in mind from the start so it is probably highly optimized to be used in other apps but i think if Genetica did this it would probably need a re-code or loads of work to make a API/Plugin work well with all the nodes but i might be wrong, then it's twice as much work after as you have 2 products to support with bug fixes etc. I am not against API or plugins which have been requested before being made but i think there is much better things that could be done with the development time myself.

Edited by Music3000, 10 November 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#4 Mak_Theot

Mak_Theot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Maybe you should start "the official industry review thread". That way Admin doesnt have to create a separate section and anyone doing a search for "recommended dealers" will be directed to the thread.

#5 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

I have just discovered that Allegrorithmic is partnering with various tool creators (such as Autodesk and Unity3d) to provide inbuilt support for 'Substances' (procedurally generated textures) created with the Allegorithmic tools. They have also announced a partnership with TurboSquid to create a Substance marketplace. These announcements can be viewed on the Allegorithmic web site.

As someone who owns (and loves) Genetica, these developments are concerning as it appears that Allegorithmic may be positioning itself as the de facto industry standard for inbuilt procedural texture generation, as it reduces the texture footprint size for games and other texture rich applications.

Does Genetica have an API that would allow Genetica's procedural texture generation system to be integrated into, or supported by, Unity3d and the other tools?

I realise the primary benefit of having inbuilt procedural texture generation is to reduce the amount of texture data required for streamed and/or mobile applicaitons, but I feel that the partnership between Allegorithmic and the various tool creators presents a real threat to the viability of independent tools such as Genetica. I hope that Atlas and the guys at Genetica can create a similar capability, or have another strategy, that can effectively counter this threat.

As a side note, I have watched some videos on using the Allegorithmic tools and the ability to view real time changes in an interactive 3D preview window would be an awesome feature to have within Genetica.

to my knowledge there is no API written for Genetica. But I would assume it wouldn't be very hard to do. Most of the work is already done its just creating a links that 3rd party programs can hook into or group portions of the code in classes that would become part of an SDK (Software Developer's Kit). But thats only 1/2 of the equation, the other half comes from the 3rd party program.
This then become who is going to write the other half type of scenario. Should the 3rd party use the SDK of Genetica and write the connection, or should the programmers of Genetica use the SDK of the 3rd party and write the connection.
Some 3rd party programs already have an SDK like Lightwave, Photoshop, (I assume 3D Max and Maya) and how ever more that wish to be connected to the main stream pipeline.
So in the end it comes down to who has the access for development and how badly that want to be integrated into the pipeline. Oh yeah don't forget about funds. If you are tight for cash you will take the cheapest way until things are better. (In this case "you" refers to the companies)

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

We're all about doing some plugins. But it may take a bit of time since there's a bunch of stuff we're working on.

#7 WillBellJr

WillBellJr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

It is a threat and I'm here today because I'm trying to make a decision and I'm searching the net for comparisons between Genetic and Substance Designer.

The reason I say it's a threat is exactly because of why I loved my Darktrees so much; they were available in all my 3D apps (at the time).

I could author the DTs in the editor and they displayed in real time in Caligari trueSpace, Animation Master, Lightwave, and though not supported, Softimage.

I'm not a Max or Maya user but being able to editing my procedurals and have them directly render in Unity is a biggy for me - not so much for saving memory but out of convenience.

The list of renderer's that support Substances is most likely to grow instead of shrink; if Modo mentioned "Substance support" for any upcoming versions, that'd definitely be a buy in reason for me.

The problem then becomes do I continue upgrading Genetica along with Substance?

Admittedly I'm not asking about or for a "plugin" for Genetica because even if they offered one tomorrow, IMO, (though I could be wrong) I think it would be an uphill battle for them to get acceptance, or catch up with the adoption that Substances are gaining.

...And mind you, they're only gaining that acceptance because Autodesk adopted them. Unity adopting them is also a major eye opener as well.

-Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users