14 replies to this topic

#1 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

How do you make your own styles?
I am leaning how to add layers to a canvas but I need to learn how to make my own styles so I can get just what I want.
For instance, 1st layer would be a rust of some sort. A square box with a rust layer. Second layer would be verticle and horizontal beams. Third layer would be rivets. Each having their own syles.

#2 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

How do you make your own styles?
I am leaning how to add layers to a canvas but I need to learn how to make my own styles so I can get just what I want.
For instance, 1st layer would be a rust of some sort. A square box with a rust layer. Second layer would be verticle and horizontal beams. Third layer would be rivets. Each having their own syles.

Start in Canvas a layer by creating a design
Click on “Style” >> “Edit” buttons: the Style edit page appears with a light blue component
Select this component so that the the “Effect” dialog appears. You have a variety of choices at this point each providing different possibilities.
You can add new components and assign additional effects. The combination of these components gives the final appearance of the style.
You can save the final style on your private subfolder you have created for this purpose that can be read by Genetica . The private subfolder’s locations is at:

C:\Documents and Settings\”Your User Name”\My Documents\Genetica User Files\Genetica 3.51\Style Presets\”name of the subfolder”

Edited by MonsterMind, 10 June 2010 - 10:11 PM.

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#3 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

Here is a simple tutorial in pdf format. I hope it helps.

Attached Files

#4 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

I was starting to figure this out on my own. The pdf helps a lot. Many thanks.

#5 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

I was starting to figure this out on my own. The pdf helps a lot. Many thanks.

You can also create (or modify existing) environment maps and save them for later use.

#6 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

I am trying to figure out how to combine an imported image to use as part of this. Is it possible?

#7 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

I am trying to figure out how to combine an imported image to use as part of this. Is it possible?

Yes, Genetica in very good on that. Chose the "Texture Synthesis" effect and follow the instructions to import the image. The procedure is described in Atlas' last monthly letter.

Edited by MonsterMind, 11 June 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#8 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Nice work on the tutorial, MonsterMind. :firefirefire: I replaced your attachment with the new version that you emailed me, and also added it to our list of user-contributed tutorials here, under the name "Creating Styles".

#9 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

I know how to import the picture but I dont know how to combine it with my project.

Another question,
I am trying to make a base texture for my Steam Punk Oil Rig. Pic can be found here: Oil barrel topic
I have two different layers that I want to apply different weather labs to. I assume I need to copy the canvas of the original and paste it somewhere in order to apply a different weather lab to one of the panels.
I am just not quite sure how to paste it in the tree or where to do so. Here is the GTX. Also it takes forever to render. Be patient.
I think Im happy with the upper panel so far. The bottom one I need to make look more like it is eroding, corroded, and slimed with sea weed. I also want to smooth out the weather on the bottom pannel.

Ideas, suggestions, advice?

Attached Images

• Oil_Rig_Base_1.jpg

Attached Files

#10 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Although it's possible to apply weathering to just parts of a texture at the end, that's not an approach that I'd recommend.

Oil_1.jpg

Instead, if you want to use nodes to creates the materials instead of doing all the work in Styles, the recommended approach is to get each material looking how you want it before feeding it into the Canvas.

Oil_2.jpg

Without knowing exactly the look you're imagining, the chance is good that what you want to do can be done completely in styles. I'm not saying that you have to use nodes to achieve these effects, just that if you want to use nodes, they're often best applied above the Canvas node instead of below it.

Also this is just a matter of taste, but personally I think textures of this type look more 3D and exciting with heavy shadows applied to each style.

Oil_3.jpg

Attached File  Oil_Rig_Base_2.gtx   28.59KB   213 downloads

#11 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Oh yeah :firefirefire:
I knew someone would come through with a rework on this.
I will look at it closer when I get some time.
Thank you very much.

Edit:
Bummer. I get an error msg that says your gtx was made with a newer version. Strange since I just bought the program last week.

Edited by Dzemo, 12 June 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#12 Dzemo

Dzemo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

And by the way, this is what I am trying to base my texture on. I found the pic, tiled it in Genetica and added a water color effect in an a photo editor

Attached Images

• MetalBulkheads_watercolor.jpg

#13 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

Oh yeah :firefirefire:
I knew someone would come through with a rework on this.
I will look at it closer when I get some time.
Thank you very much.

Edit:
Bummer. I get an error msg that says your gtx was made with a newer version. Strange since I just bought the program last week.

Version 3.51 was just released.

#14 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:28 AM

Looks great! I agree on the hard shadows part, but within 3d engines it might look too much. But it can look neat as AO map.

Edited by Funkdude, 13 June 2010 - 04:30 AM.

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#15 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Version 3.51 was just released.

It's only been released on the forum so far though. Here's the thread where it can be found: http://www.spiralfor...showtopic=10479

It should be officially released on the main website later this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users