107 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Dear SpiralGraphics team, here I'll post all my suggestions together that I felt that was needed or would be cool to have while using this amazing Genetica 3.5 Studio.

1) Texture Synthesis (Shadow direction):
When creating seamless textures with photos and using patches at section "Source" we get to control Shadow Strenght and Shadow Feather, but not its direction. IMHO, It would be cool and usefull to have the option to control shadow direction as we have in Photoshop fx effects.

2) Coming soon...

Not iStockphoto member yet? Do you want to get 10 free credits to start downloading stock photos? Click here.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Dear SpiralGraphics team, here I'll post all my suggestions together that I felt that was needed or would be cool to have while using this amazing Genetica 3.5 Studio.

1) Texture Synthesis (Shadow direction):
When creating seamless textures with photos and using patches at section "Source" we get to control Shadow Strenght and Shadow Feather, but not its direction. IMHO, It would be cool and usefull to have the option to control shadow direction as we have in Photoshop fx effects.

2) Coming soon...

It would be neat indeed. Now already we can make neat ambient occlusion like effects with synthesis, but directional shadows would suit patterns in general, or for fixed lighting situations.

Permission required to use my work. (Seriously!)

Click here to see my website
Click here to see my blog
Click here to visit my LinkedIn profile.

#3 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

It would be neat indeed. Now already we can make neat ambient occlusion like effects with synthesis, but directional shadows would suit patterns in general, or for fixed lighting situations.

Yup, talking about fixing light situations and suit patterns here is another suggestion...

2) Texture Synthesis (Inner Shadow):
Still talking about shadows and besides the suggestion #1 above, It would be cool and useful also to have the option to control INNER shadow within a patch by controlling shadow direction, Shadow Strenght and Shadow Feather controls for the INNER shadow as well.

3) Coming soon...

Edited by Penguin, 14 March 2010 - 02:08 PM.

Not iStockphoto member yet? Do you want to get 10 free credits to start downloading stock photos? Click here.

#4 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

3) Render Animation (Export as non-squared video):
It should be very very very useful and interesting to have a way to render the AVI files without being only squared sizes. I mean, maybe we would have a kind of preferences were we would set the export movie size/FPS/codecs* and it would create a kind of gray rectangular layer over the node just to have an idea of the exit size (target/camera limits).

(*) Sizes allowed in the preferences with Frame Per Second (FPS):

Basic Definition - WEB
4:3 small (320x240) @ 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
16:9 small (320x180) @ 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
4:3 medium (640x480) @ 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
16:9 medium (640x360) @ 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
Codecs: DV, MJPEG (for interlaced footage) and PhotoJPEG (for non-interlaced footage).

Standard Definition - PAL
720x576 @ 25 FPS
Codecs: DV, MJPEG (for interlaced footage) and PhotoJPEG (for non-interlaced footage).

Standard Definition - NTSC
720x480 (DV) @ 29.97fps
720x486 (D1) @ 29.97fps
Codecs: DV, MJPEG (for interlaced footage) and PhotoJPEG (for non-interlaced footage)

High Definition - HD
1280x720 (HD 720p) @ 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
1920x1080 (HD 1080p) @ 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps or 30fps
Codecs: HDV, DVCPRO HD, MJPEG (for interlaced footage) and PhotoJPEG (for non-interlaced footage)

4) Coming soon...

Edited by Penguin, 15 March 2010 - 03:01 AM.

#5 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

4) Texture Synthesis (Edit Patch):
a) (High priority) I work daily with 3 monitors, so when editing patch full view, it should memorize the latest monitor, windows position, and windows size of the Edit Patch window that was left after closing this window. So, all latest positions should be kept by SG for the next opening;
b) (High priority) In the 'Presets' tab, when I add a custom preset, it saves the preset as it is, but it doesn't get to be updated if I do some new change in the preset, so it is missing a button SAVE or when we click OK, it should ask if want to update the actual preset with the changes. Better would be to have a button SAVE on the left side of the buttons OK | CANCEL, so we would have SAVE | OK | CANCEL. So, every time I press save, it will save/update the selected preset in the 'preset' tab. Now a days every change I need to create a new preset! Even using the same name, it will overwrite, but it is annoying to have to type the preset name all the times instead of just hitting once a single SAVE button. ;0) Well, unless I'm missing something here. Another suggestion, would be a button NEW PRESET also, so we would have SAVE | NEW PRESET | OK | CANCEL. If we press new preset, it would jump from the 'Edit' tab to the 'Preset' tab and there fill the 'Custom' name of the preset and this input field and buttons IMHO should be on the top right above the 'Categories' so all would be together, or move the up drop-down menus to bottom, so all together.
c) In the 'Patches' (right column we have cut/copy/paste/patch#/percentual), we would have an icon eye to get to hide/show the patch. So, if we click on the eye, it would hide the patch and remove its object/patch from the texture/preview/render;
d) In the 'Presets' tab, when I add a custom preset, we can select one existing category. It would be great to have a way to create our own categories or pick a folder patch to save them where we want to;
e) When editing patch full view, it would be cool to have on the bottom the sliders options as we have in the small view. Maybe a scroll bar to get tem or a arrow on the bottom where we get to shrink/expand/show/hide the sliders menu;
f) When editing patch full view, it would be cool to get to use the arrows keys to move the patches 1px/1point/1wathever in its arrows pressed directions;
g) It would be cool in the transform info have the info of the patch size in pixels related to the size of the imported image. So, if I import a 3000x3000 image and create a small squared patch, it should inform for expample that the square patch is W: 350 px H: 350 px. IMHO it would be useful to help to export the textures in larger sizes and have idea how large you can ask to export without creating squared images due resolution resampling.

5) Coming soon...

Edited by Penguin, 15 March 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#6 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:27 AM

5) Texture Synthesis (Boolean operations when editing patches):
a) It would be very useful if while editing patches I would get to select two or more patches at once and make boolean operations such as Unite, Subtract back, Subtract front, Intersect, and etc;
b) Not priority, but maybe have an import patch button to allow to import ai, cdr, psd, svg patches.

6) Texture Synthesis (Shortcuts and new commands when editing patches):
a) When we click on the patch where there is no knot, it adds "*" to add a new knot. So, it would accept double-click to add a knot. I mean, when we double-click on on the patch where there is no knot, Genetica would add the new knot;
b) Besides the double-click above, it would accept the shortcut "+" on the numerical keyboard. So, when click once on the patch and it shows the "*" over it, if we press on the keyboard "+", it would add the new knot;
c) If there is already some shortcut for 'b)', and I'm missing it, I'd like to suggest to add in the tool-tip the key used for it;
d) When we are over the knots or its "arms/hands" (I forgot the name of them), the cursor should change from the bold move cross to a very thin cross (precise) or to the select arrow. Leave the bold one when not select the knots to move the whole patch;
e) It would be useful to have a ZOOM tool into the Edit Patch window;

7) Coming soon...

Edited by Penguin, 16 March 2010 - 04:23 AM.

#7 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

8) Preferences (Locations):
Genetica would have also in the preferences the start locations for SAVE, SAVE AS and EXPORT. So, every time I open Genetica and click on SAVE, SAVE AS or EXPORT, it would use the Preferences locations 1st.

9) Coming soon...

#8 Stem

Stem

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

16 bit image output (to file formats that support it, PNG would do)

#9 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

#10 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

You're welcome Atlas.

9) Texture Synthesis (Edit Layers):
a) It would be useful to have the option DUPLICATE layer;
b) In the 'Layers' we would have an icon eye to get to hide/show the layers. So, when working with more than one layer we would click on the eye and it would hide the layer and remove its objects from the texture/preview/render;
c) When selecting different layers, it would be cool if Genetica would remain the latest selection we had done in the 'Section:' menus. Now a days, every time I change the layer, it goes back to the 'Source' option instead of remaining the latest selection;
d) I'd like to select more than one patch and copy all them from one layer and get to paste all them at once on the new layer. Now a days it is possible to do one by one.

10) Texture Synthesis (Select image - Import tab):
It would be useful to have thumbnails of the latest '20' imported images at the 'import tab' as we have in the other tabs such as plant, sky, pavement, etc.

11) Coming soon...

#11 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

It would also be very welcome to have a duplicate layer option in the style lab and the environment lab.

#12 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

I'm still pushing for larger more well defined tap buttons.
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#13 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:31 AM

I think i asked for copy/paste or duplicate for the canvas and environments around about when they were first added so i hope that happens for all areas where you can use layers as it would save a lot of time and i rarely use the merge feature either. User favorite folders and non fixed size rendering are also features i have wanted for a while, great suggestions hopefully some of these will get added.

Off-topic - I know 3.5 is now officially released and im not sure what the plan is now but i hope there will still be more regular point releases like we had for this recent beta with stuff like these ideas and previous ones from the big V3 ideas thread get added. Multiple inputs and newer features like gradients and curves for the older labs is my biggest request right now, things like the substance lab would have unlimited uses then. :D

#14 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hi! It would be very neat to be able to save TGA 24 bit for opaques and 32 bit if there is transparency. Now i cant really tell what format it saves tga as. (bit depth?) if we have a radio button or checkbox for it it would be handy. simmilar to the jpg save as dialog perhaps ;)

#15 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, more free updates coming.

It would be very neat to be able to save TGA 24 bit for opaques and 32 bit if there is transparency.

That's actually the behavior, if I'm remembering correctly. It'll only save 32 bit if transparency is found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users