• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Yes, I have gotten in touch with Atlas, and will be giving him a call on Sunday afternoon to discuss how this transition will happen.  

If anyone else is interested in helping, please PM me, and I shall try to get back to you soon.  If you are unable to PM, l have an alert set on responses to this thread, so if you have questions, I will try to answer them here.

Personally, it's my own hope in this that I will be able to write a port of Genetica for other platforms.   I currently use Genetica inside of a VM on Linux (I had zero luck getting it to work with wine), and I would love to be able to run it natively.   

I've never taken over a project from anyone else before, so I'm a little nervous about the possibility that I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm also extremely excited about the possibilties.

#17 Carel5103

Carel5103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

Good luck @MarkT I hope you can revive this wonderful piece of software again  :thumbsup:  :dance:  :firefirefire:

#18 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:32 AM

Great news! Please keep us posted.

Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#19 Swine

Swine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

Thanks MarkT!  I'm sure once you get the ball rolling others will join in.

#20 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

Okay, I have spoken wth Atlas, and here's the update.

He does not want to just dump this software on somebody and then let it be their problem.... and does not expect this transition to open source be an overnight switch.  He is more amenable to a gradual and incremental approach, wanting the developer(s) to individually have access to the code, taking time to familiarize themselves with it, and to verify the viability of whatever changes might be desired before taking the next step of publicly releasing it.   For the time being I will be signing a confidentiality agreement with Atlas to not disclose the source code to anyone else at this time, although he has made it clear he has no problems with bringing other developers into that agreement as interest in the open source project grows.

I expect to be able to get a look for myself at the code base in the near future, and I will give you all a synopsis of my impression of it. 

If you are seriously wanting to help contribute to the ongoing development of this software, then please let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users