That's coming up soon!

Alright.   :)

#17 delinx32

delinx32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hey guys! Sorry for being a stranger recently. I am indeed fine. After quite a few years glued to my computer, I decided to cool my jets for a bit and wander around North America. Here are some photos I took recently: https://500px.com/atlasr

I really appreciate the support, whether that be now or over the years. Regarding your purchase striking a spark, Genetica is a very complex piece of code that involved over a dozen developers over the years, and paying developers really added up. Unfortunately Genetica cost a bit more to produce than it made in sales, so I personally never profited financially from the project, although I did get to experience the deep joy of building something that I loved, and serving a passionate community.

The servers aren't getting turned off as long as there are people using Genetica. Your contribution will be used for the server costs.

Just my two pennies.

I've been waiting to buy this software, but the price has always been prohibitive.  It's your software, and you're free to price it any way you want, but I have to believe that you'd get a lot more business with indie friendly pricing.  When you look at other pieces of software with similar functionality, the price is pretty high.  Compare it to substance designer for example.  Given that the product is nearly admittedly abandoned, if you lowered the price you may find an influx of customers that were waiting to buy it.

I came here because I was ready to pull the trigger on the software, but I (and probably almost everyone else) cannot justify dropping 500$ on "dead" software,  The price simply isn't competitive with other actively supported solutions on the market today.  

If I were you, and I'm not, I would have an indie (at the pro feature level) license at a drastically reduced price, and sell content packs like the wood workshop rather than giving them away.  If you did that, then genetica could become a base product and your new additions could be addon modules allowing you to finance new feature development.  With the advent of free/nearly free game engines (unity, unreal, cryengine, lumberyard, etc), the indie game dev community is very large, and my guess is you'd get quite a few new customers if you had pricing that was better suited to that community.

Apologies for the free advice, I really do want your software, but I don't 500$ want it, and even 250 for the pro license is too high for inactive software.  If the current way (high price) isn't working, then perhaps its time to yield to the laws of supply and demand and lower the price.  You may find there is greater demand for your product at the lowered price point and it may even become profitable.

Just an example:

There are 5.5 million registered unity users, if you were to get say 1% of that market it would be 55000 units sold, at 100$ each, you'd make 5.5 million dollars.  If it were 50$, you'd still make over 2 million dollars.  That's obviously optimistic, but that's just the unity market.  There are still the other major game engines as well.  Every kid with a computer wants to make games.

Enjoy your tour of America!

#18 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

Y'know... if it would help to keep the project going, I think lowering the price to appeal to a larger market would be a great idea.  I for one would not feel like I had been put out for buying it at a higher price if you did decide to lower the price point for such reasons, although I know I can't speak for everyone.

I am, however, deeply concerned about the pledge to keep the servers going as long as people are using it.  While I don't doubt that may be the sincerest of your intentions, I am regrettably skeptical that this kind of promise is a feasible one to keep, particularly given the status of the development on the software.   I myself do not use the software daily, for instance... in fact, sometimes I will go some months without using it at all because I am too busy with other things, and I'd hate to come back to it after a possibly extended absence and discover that I was unable to use some of the content that I otherwise would have had access to because the servers had finally been taken offline.

And finally, although I hate to pull another "if I were you" here, I do sincerely think it'd be darn cool if the source code were opened up, and the community could support it themselves.  As long as there was interest, there'd be continued development.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users