18 replies to this topic

#1 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Well my good comp is dead, motherboard fried. I pulled out this dinasaur, it works but..... 14 year old gateway and it's senile; bios battery is dead. Had to go to a thrift store to find a trackball mouse. This didn't have a clue what to do with an optic mouse lol.

I don't know when I might be able to get a replacement comp. I've been checking newegg for referbished, but it will be what meets my need for the money in hand, once it gets to my hand. I'm hot for something compatable with everything on that acer. Brand new 600watt power supply; which is what I thought the issue was, 2 DDR3 2gigs and 2 DDR3 1 gig sticks, a 500gig HDD, and an out of date but funtional graphics card.

This is the one in my sites right now, but it's what's avalible when the money comes in.

http://www.newegg.co...30716200538#top

I'm really hoping to retreive the HDD, everything was on it.

"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Looks like a decent pc, i hope your files arent gone.

#3 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Wow, 14 years? anything you buy will be an upgrade. LOL. I figure the lifespan is about 5 years, or at least thats what I can get out of them.

Have fun shopping...

#4 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

The Acer that fried was right at 4 years old, quad core, 6 gig. Ate power supplies for breakfast. Went through 3 in that amount of time. Thought this was a need of a fourth and had a bit of cash to spare so I got a good one. Just means I don't have to worry about my next comp having a crappy power supply ;)

Say what you want about Gateways, but this old horse can still plow ;)

I downloaded carrara 8 again and just a bit of content to work with. So far I haven't managed to get a scene loaded. Even simple ones are too much for this comp :(

Well in any less then 10 minutes. And a single core means I'm rendering or web surfing, can't do both.

Edited by manleystanley, 18 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#5 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Man, I need genetica lite for this old gatewayasaures rex. :rofl:

#6 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Auslogics boostspeed might be of use for you, i used it in the past to squeeze more performance out of older systems :).

#7 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Getting my new comp today. Gateway i5, 8gig, 1Tbite, and........ windows 8 <_<

I've heard windows 8 is worse then vista, I'll be dropping my old HDD in to the new comp, and it has W7 on it. Not sure if I want to try to play musical windows to get W7 on the main new drive and W8 on the archive old drive.

I am going to put all my grafics apps and content on the same partition seperate from windows. I did this on this old comp and seems to have fewer issues with content and apps.

Bad news is Carrara 8.5 is out, and DAZ has lost their ever loving minds. $285 for a point 5 update that does little more than add triax; genesis, DSON, DUF, compatability. As a comparesin the C7-C8 upgrade was only $200. No I wont be getting it, yes that does mean sacrficing 2 years worth of work with the C8.5 beta. Even having to sacrfice 2 years of work does not make a .5 update worth $285.

I fully expect the upgrade cost Carrara 9 to be more then carrara cost to begin with. I'm figuring $570 for the upgrade. Guess DAZ thinks they have 3DSmax, or Maya on thier hands :huh:

Of coarse people are jumping on the short term, if you are qulified, and in the Pclub $85.50 sale price. If you can get that price to come up in your cart on check out. What floors me is people seeing they aren't getting all or the full discounts, and buying it any way. :blink: 

What really boggles my mind is I, I wasn't pesimistic enough on the pricing. :wacko: Thing is I know a bunch of people that need to get in on this big crow pie I have for them. All those people that argued with me and said DAZ would never charge as much as $160 for a .5 update, when I said as much a long, long time ago. Yet there they are, griping about the price, griping about the lacking features, and buying it anyway, I just don't get it. :huh:

#8 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Got my new comp and gathering my book marks. The HDD from my last comp dropped right in so no loss of anything. Going to do some clean reinstalls anyway. Then a ton; 115gig, of stuff to move and sort. May do a lot of clean reinstalls of my content; sort and toss stuff I don't use.

So far the only issue I have with W8 is the start up tablet screen. But I haven't really done any work yet. Just reinstalling securety and such. Not anywhere near as much bloatware with this gateway install of W8, compared to that acer with vista/W7.  

#9 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Man it is so nice to have an i5 and 8 gig. lastnight I had genetica, carrara, firefox and the LOTRO game all open and was only using 55% of my cpu and 4.5 gig of that 8 :woot:

Of corse I am always working with Genetica, I retexture most of the content I use and itis so nice to have any/all the effects maps I may need :dance:

I even create missing effects maps for textures I don't make. Right now I am working or making several textures for Mike 4's pirate outfit. And as much as I like Stefan's sets/scenes, I useually retexture a lot of them.

It's also nice that I can just drop a model in Genetica again rather then go through UVmapper and then photofilter to turn the uvmap in to a noise to use in genetica. Gives me much better, more realistic textures; like taning the uper sides of a figure texture or realistic weathering.

#10 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Oh man, this comp and genetica about floored me lastnight. I was wanting to do some realistic weathering on a pirate hat so I expoerted the model from carrara and imported it to genetica, it opened right up, no issue. Then I saw I had exported the entire scene, the staging room, M4 fully clothed, and the hat. Genetica never slowed down opening it :clap:

#11 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Awesome hahaha. So everything looks like textile? Screens of your work are always welcome!

#12 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sounds like a worthy computer upgrade. :) Windows 8 doesn't bother me much once I'm in desktop mode, but I'm not a big fan of all those tablet-y tiles when I'm on a standard PC/laptop.

#13 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

What bothers me most is it seems everything PC is hidden. Had a hard time finding the control panel, I went to copy something to note pad and had to go online to find out where it was. It's quite clear W8 was designed for tablets, not PCs. Which is absurd consudering Windows is a PC operating system.

I was working on a scene for a contest on that old gateway, it was pirates finding a treasure on a beach. I had to give it up because I didn't get the C8.5 update; $285 for a .5 update, has DAZ lost their minds? Not really, it's the typical mark it up to mark it down. Price it at $285 then the Pclub 3 month membership would give you more off in savings then joining costs. Then have a 50% off sale the first two weeks so it comes down to $85 or so. Check the definition of smoke and mirrors.

But part of the focal point of the scene was clothes draped on a skellton on the ground. I can't do that with C8.1. Then I found out nether CD nor the DVD burner worked on my old comp so I couldn't transfer the scene. I'm not going to make the contest because part of it was to use carrara to modifie models in the scene. Still I have the scene in my head so I am rebuilding it. I haven't gotten all the elements put together yet, but all the pirate clothes textures have been redone in genetica, the island height map was made in genetica, as well as the sand on the beach.

The 3 pirates are the castaway, the muscle, and the captien. The title is "boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea" refering to the skeleton. I'll put more renders up later but for now here is the island with the wrecked rowboat.

The island is actually kind of small an low, I may see if ships sails might be visable on the other side of the island.

yaisland_zps9b2a2565.jpg

Edit to add. The background is an HDRI made for staging, and made in Genetica, as is the lighting :winkglasses:

Edited by manleystanley, 01 September 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#14 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Looks neat! The lighting looks very real, the textures look non-repetitive, and I like the horizon colour. Can't wait to see the later stages!

#15 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

The sand is at 4096, it is repeated 10 times, but that is over the entire island :D  I was showing this to my mother and she asked where the ship was. I hadn't figured on putting it in scene, but it is a small low island, so now you can see masts over the palm trees, in the back ground. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users