31 replies to this topic

#1 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:17 AM

I'm sure some of you have read that Daz has bought out Eovia; Carrara and Hexagon. With Daz's track record of nondevelopment and extreamly glitchy programs, this dose not bode well for the future development of Carrara and Hex. I'm quite worried about this. Daz has made all it's money selling content for a free program; so anyone with a bank account and a computer can be a hit at Rendo. So why would they develope something that is a direct threat to this cash flow?
This is most depressing. :D
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#2 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

We will have to see were this heads down the road and how all these products will evolve with such a big change... no one knows with absolute certainty how this will effect the development of Carrara, Hexigon, Amapi, Bryce and Daz Studio... it seems like a mixed bag at the moment as everyone is differing on opinions over the future of these products... i am sure we will get more precise answers soon enough then we can either re-joice or become very dissapointed..........

#3 vic

vic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

I don't understand how Daz can afford products like Carrara and Hexagon. Is there really that much money to be made in selling Poser accessories? /blinkNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

#4 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

Beleave it or not, yes... everyday on Renderosity which is a big seller for Poser items there seems to be plenty of Smutware for the all to revealing Poser women... it is sad that so many artists limit there creativity to selfish perversions which is all to common a selling point on both Daz3d and Renderositys sites... prime examples of how software can be abused to no end... now as far as how Daz can buy out Eovia... how they can afford it is anyones guess as i am sure there is plenty of profit involved and sense we live in a free-enterprise society that is one of the driving forces behind this move but just as important is farther developements of combinded research, assets, and technologys which is not a bad thing as long as it is done in a smart manner... let us hope it is... only time will tell.....................

Edited by Sethren, 26 April 2006 - 02:35 PM.

#5 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:10 AM

I had read someplace that one of the poser clothes designers made $50000 last year. So there is a fair amount of profit that can be made from the "casual" model rendering hobbiest. {that sentence was quite cleaned up from the origenal thought}.
My question is why would a company that makes all their money from selling content ; premade models, develope a program that is in direct conflict with that ?
It's really too early to tell much. If Daz keeps all the right people it could be a good thing.
The main thing is Daz has a bad rep, DS was made for wallet cg artits and as such most fine art cg artists have little respect for it. It was basicly made for those that don't have time, inclenation, and/or the expertease to build a scene from scratch. I can't say too much, considering what a free cg model junky I am, but that's more of a time factor thing. If I spend all my time making a model I wont have time to learn how to use the program to set and render it ;)
Early morning foggy brain musings. :D

Edited by manleystanley, 27 April 2006 - 05:11 AM.

#6 vic

vic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

I had read someplace that one of the poser clothes designers made $50000 last year.

/faintNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

#7 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

He was a pro, had several pieces. Figure it was all he ever did. With experiance, a good program, and 10-12 hours a day to work on it, you could do it too. :D

#8 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

I want to make my own clothing with Silo 2 but it is very hard to find tutorials on how to make clothing and then the natural flow of cloth is another thing... ;)
Simcloth inside Softimage XSI is suppose to be the best cloth simulation there is but having to buy XSI is not an option i have in mind... softbody editing within Silo could work but still a challenge all the same...........

Considering there is still two options for rendering... DazStudio or Kerkythea... either which is fine as both are in active development.............. :D

#9 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

I've had DS on my comp a few times. I always end up uninstalling it on clean up day; if I haven't used a prog in 30 days I usually uninstall it.
If you want to do clothes start small and simple. I did a pleated skirt once, it actually came out fairly well; I just did it as an excersize.
DS just isn't for me. I like doing scenes, DS is more for portraits. :D

#10 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

I always start out simple... :D i am just thinking ahead as i always tend to do... i was thinking on doing afew portaits... i like several approaches to my art works but my main style is large vistas almost panoramic styles..........

#11 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

Seth have you seen this

"In conjunction with the Hexagon 2 release, DAZ has announced a limited time promotion,
which ends May 31, 2006, providing the electronic download version (ESD) of Hexagon 2 at the DAZ webstore for the nominal price of US$1.99 for new and current members of DAZís Platinum Club. Initial cost to join the Platinum Club is US$29.95, with a monthly renewal fee of US$7.95. Alternatively, members can choose to join for an entire year with a flat fee of US$99.95. This special offer for Hexagon 2 ends May 31, 2006, after which the software will be priced at US$269 for the full version or US$119 for the upgrade from Hexagon 1. As a thank you to customers who pre-ordered the Hexagon 2 upgrade, DAZ will provide them a free one month Platinum Club membership with an option to renew, a US$30 value, along with a US$100 voucher which can be used on the DAZ store.

Thought this would help you alot, may jump on it myself. I checked and no you don't have to be a Pclub member to get updates.

Edited by manleystanley, 28 April 2006 - 07:42 AM.

#12 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

Sounds almost to good to be true... :D i would consider doing it but there are two problems... i still am on dial-up (the download is 300MBs + and even if i could download it my stupid ISP kicks me off every 4 hours (People PC) never deal with these pinheads i should advise anyone... i am spending some over-extended time with my parents so it was there idea to use that ISP... ;) anyways it sounds great and worth looking into.................

#13 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Quite a few are having download issues. The way it looks I'd give it a week before I tried to download it. On DSL I can get it in about 5/6 hours. Hate to think what it would take on dialup. It would be nice if they offered to mail a dvd o, I'm sure people would pay $10 for a hard copy mailed to them.

#14 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Those servers are pushing the bandwidth pipes...... ;)

On Dial-Up... hmmmm... 40 Hours guess........ :D

I would pay for the hard copy if there was a way.................

#15 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

Wouldn't hurt to e-mail and ask. Sence it seems their goal is to get as many people on boad as quick as possable, they might go for it ; if it wasn't made public that they would :D

Edited by manleystanley, 28 April 2006 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users