• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

A member at my sign forum is going into 3D CNC routing and is looking for software to aid him in taking any given image (such as a JPG) in 2D and end up with a 3D file in DXF format. My experience in this area is practically nil and I am wondering if any of Genetica's map generating capabilities should be recommended to him as part or all of a solution and how it would fit in.
Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

I knew one guy who used Genetica with 3D CNC to mill patterns into wood. I understand that the process is:

3D_CNC.jpg

The first part of the process is where Genetica can help, and that is generating a workable displacement map from the original image. Directly using the original photograph without processing will often yield poor result since most photos have grainy details that look fine when viewed directly, but create jagged sandpaper-like effect when used as a displacement map.

Here's an example I had done a few months ago:

3D_CNC_b.jpg

In this case both the seamless texture and the displacement map were created in Genetica (shown below), although if he's not concerned with seamless textures, he can always just import any image he wanted into Genetica through the Imported Image node. In the displacement map you'll see that Genetica reduced the high-frequency noise (graininess) while accentuating low-frequency shapes. Some of this is subtle when viewed directly but it makes a huge difference when converted to actual 3D.

3D_CNC_c.jpg

Here's the Genetica file used to generating all of the images used in this example:

Attached File  Acropolis_Frieze.gtx   6.07KB   113 downloads

A couple notes on the GTX:

3D_CNC_d.jpg

The second part of the process is to turn the Genetica-made displacement map into actual 3D geometry, which can be done with certain 3D applications. The first thing to find out is what 3D apps does he use already, since he may have the tool needed to do this.

#3 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for your reply Atlas.

He has no app as of yet and indicated that he didn't mind spending whatever money it took ... just that he didn't want to waste time and money on a solution that wouldn't work. Do you have a recommendation?

Edited by Sign Guy, 12 July 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#4 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

That's something that a lot of 3D apps can do, so picking one can be a little arbitrary. If he wanted to start on the cheap end of the spectrum, he could download Blender for free and go through a trial run to see if he got a result that worked (ie, the 3D CNC machine actually printed what was expected). I have to make assumptions here since I've never played with a 3D CNC machine, so I'll assume that the machine will accept a flat polygonal mesh that has had it's vertices displaced. I see a Blender tutorial that explains this process here. I also see that the DXF format is among Blender's export formats.

#5 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'm a bit bias myself http://www.daz3d.com...arrara_pro?_m=d :thumbsup:
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#6 kundepuu

kundepuu

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

one of the best ones
Artcam

The developed modeling tools allow you to create a 3D model using Raster or vector, to create complex profiles hood, smooth docking and ramps.
Retrieved from "interactive sculpture" can manually edit the model in ArtCAM. Smoothing, removing and adding material, blurring can get the effect of manual work.
The wizard allows you to work with textures decorate the model, using standard texture from the library of ArtCAM, or create your own from arbitrary raster images or photographs.
Wizard ralefa person can convert a digital photograph of the person (only in profile) in the 3D model. It is convenient to create a memorable and customized gifts.
Allows you to add nice texture to the project by importing bitmap images or photos or using the standard texture ArtCAM'a.
Interactive terrain deformation tool allows you to manipulate existing models. Can stretch / compress or bend relief along arbitrary curves. Lets also cut and paste small portions of the relief from any part of the model.
Import 3D models (STL, 3DS, 3D DXF) from other programs directly into ArtCAM.

Import of 2D vectors or bitmap images created in any graphics program, supported formats DXF, DWG, EPS, AI, BMP, TIF, JPEG, GIF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users