• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 libiomjobs

libiomjobs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I am very interested in using Genetica for my design projects. (I don't do 3D design, but the textures are ideal for backgrounds on some of my print stuff.) I downloaded Genetica Viewer 3.5 to play around with the supplied library and was able to install it just fine on a Windows 7 system. When I attempted to install on my main computer at home, which is running Windows 8.1, I got the following error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I thought perhaps it might be a problem specific to Viewer, and maybe to version 3.5, so I downloaded and installed Wood Workshop; no problems. OK, I then downloaded the Genetica 4.0 demo (which indicates compatibility with Windows 8), and I ran into the same issue. Have you run into this problem with Windows 8.1, and if so, is there a fix or a workaround? I have tried searching for the error description online with very limited success (all the hits I found dated from the Windows XP days).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to purchase the product, but if I can't install it, it's no use to me.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi and welcome!

My guess is you could install .net. That helped for me once. Perhaps atlas or Poseidon could help you out with the specifics.

#3 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

I see this error mentioned on-line in relation to a number of applications (not Genetica related) and Windows 8.1, so it's possible this is a Windows 8.1 bug. I'm setting up a Windows 8.1 machine to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Was this a fresh windows 8.1 install, or an upgrade from a previous version?

#4 libiomjobs

libiomjobs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

This was a fresh 8.1 install. I had a bunch of issues upgrading from 8 to 8.1. Looking at the "Programs and Features" section, however, I did notice that the only .NET framework pack installed is "4.5 Multi-Targeting Pack," along with its associated SDK. I attempted to install earlier frameworks, but the installs don't even start. It appears to me that with Windows 8.1 (and perhaps 8 as well, I can't be certain) Microsoft consolidated all the .NET editions that were previously installed side-by-side (2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0).

#5 Zolandra

Zolandra

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

The link posted below suggests that this is a permissions issue. One of the solutions offered was to right click on the installer and select run as administrator. The other was to check the permissions of the temp folder: C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\Temp

LINK:http://answers.micro...55-14b5d73a4017

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I set up a fresh Windows 8.1 machine and Genetica 4 installed fine.

Have you tried running as administrator as Zolandra suggested?

#7 libiomjobs

libiomjobs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Wow. I thought I had tried that, but apparently I didn't. Once again, Microsoft can't help but to complicate the simplest things in the name of "Security" . . .

That worked. Thank you very much.

#8 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Please ban angelroy for spamming.

#9 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I sent several messages about these two people, who I think is one and the same. It looks like their posts get deleted, but their username does not get banned. Anyway, I already spent to much energy on them. So, chat with you later on another subject.

#10 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Glad you got Genetica working! Interesting how it didn't just work straight away for you--when I tested it worked without any special actions. (Although I was in an Admin account.)

Yeah, I've banned those spammers. Also noticed that spam images also started getting through. Made some tweaks that should prevent spam images from getting through.

#11 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Good glad to hear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, genetica, viewer, windows 8.1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users