• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carandiru

Carandiru

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hey just wondering if there is an option for Genetica 4.0 Indie Pricing, specifically the Pro version because of the support for normal map generation is pretty much required. Maybe we can rally enough people to convince them to give us a fair price for indie developers!!!
http://www.spiralgra....biz/buygen.htm

$400 bucks is way too much.

I have created a couple other threads so the interest can be seen by the community and in the hope that an indie version of Genetica 4.0 Pro is created!!

http://www.gamedev.n...-indie-pricing/

http://www.indiedb.c...a-indie-pricing

#2 Ace Dragon

Ace Dragon

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Personally, I do think it would be useful for many if Spiral Graphics had an updated free or low-priced app. that worked primarily around the idea of altering presets with the adjusters.

You could say that this could be like Genetica Viewer 2.0, only this time, the user can download a .gtx tile and play with the adjusters to get a wider variation of textures (with effect and normal maps) instead of hoping that it's useful in its original state. Now I wouldn't complain if Atlas decided that would be a good idea as long as there's a sort of limit on the adjuster count or the node count (they wouldn't want users making a 'super texture' that greatly reduces the incentive to get the actual application that creates them. ;))

Anyway, anything below 1K is considered acceptable for small studios (I've heard of smaller developers using the 600 USD Substance Designer Software), but how much less one would consider 'Indie friendly' might depend on who's answering.

NOTE: I use the full version of Genetica Pro, but I also use free software (like Blender for 3D work).

Edited by Ace Dragon, 14 June 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.

#3 Carandiru

Carandiru

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well I don't think it has anything todo with PR or being disrespectful. Neither are we forcing anyone todo anything. This is just giving them the visibility of having a product offer for Genetica Pro at a discounted price for independent developers that make less than $xxx per year.

I would love to buy there product but not able to afford it. If they see the visibility of multiple developers on this thread in the same situation they have potential buyers and a lot of sales to gain at a discounted price.

Doing it privately is not neccesary, and really defeats the whole purpose.

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

An updated viewer might make low budget indies very happy, they can contact authors on using gtx files shared on the forum then as well, so there would be a quickly growing amount if textures which offers a lot of options. I heard the same, that most software under 1K attracts indies a lot, which makes sense, since apps like modo and zbrush are too expensive. Less "broad" apps have a less steep learning curve too.

Carandiru, perhaps an older version of Genetica might be the way to go? 3.6 is incredibly powerfull, it does lack the new adjusters and UV nodes, but one can make awesome stuff with it.

#5 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Carandiru, I appreciate your interesting and support!

We've already tried hard to segment Genetica into 3 editions, and offer the Basic edition for those on a tighter budget. If you specifically need the normal map feature, but can't afford Pro, I'd consider getting the Basic edition and creating your normal maps in one of the free utilities that are out there. If you ask, someone around here may even share secrets on how to construct a normal map maker out of nodes available in the Basic edition.

#6 Ace Dragon

Ace Dragon

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Atlas' comment about normal maps are correct, the generators that you can download to make them are about a dime a dozen these days, but the results might vary because of the differences in various algorithms used (both free and proprietary ones).

Someone making a node group that makes normal maps might be the best in your case, because it would be able to utilize the entire dynamic range of the image, you might have to use the 'render branch' button instead of 'render texture' to get it (Genetica only has one output node), but it would be better than nothing.

Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.

#7 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

A Basic normalmapper can be found here:

http://www.spiralfor...5&hl=normalmaps

#8 Carandiru

Carandiru

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Ah ok maybe I'm being to cheap. I'm gonna just save up the money and buy it I think I'm a little passed that I missed out on the 40 percent off sigh.

#9 Lynda

Lynda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Genetica Pro has a way of paying for itself - even at the current price, even for self employed/indies.

Edited by Lynda, 16 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users