• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arondelle

Arondelle

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I've been using Genetica for what seems like a dog's age, and over the years I've become quite dependent on it for generating textures for Second Life. However... it has failed me and I don't know what to do.

The Issue: I am building a texture in the Canvas. I have two layers, with a single rectangle in each. I go to the top layer to Style; the first part of the node is a Gradient fill at a normal blend. So far, so good: the style preview renders in a timely manner. The second part of the style is a second Gradient fill at a multiply blend. I set up the gradient (type, direction, etc.) then go to edit the colors. I get as far as adding a node to the gradient and try to change the color... and the preview rendering starts and everything freezes. Production halts, and the program can only be closed through the Task Manager.

The problem doesn't appear to be the software itself; when I first noticed the problem, I immediately ran the repair mode from my downloaded file to see if freshening the files would help, but the issue persists.

I'm still using my antique PC running Vista Home Basic (!!) and Genetica 3.6 Basic. Up until yesterday, everything has been running well and life was beautiful.

So, the question becomes: Where does the Preview Rendering happen? CPU? GPU? Some dark corner of the Outer Planes? Knowing where may be a clue to what is broken on ol' Bessie.

Contact me in Second Life as Arondelle Ladybird

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

Rendering happens on the CPU.

What happens if you try to construct the elements of your texture in a different order? What if you set up the gradient that's giving you trouble before you set up anything else?

#3 Arondelle

Arondelle

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

*waves wildly at Atlas*

I've discovered the root of the problem: an apparent virus. My machine was over 10 years old, and had accumulated a lot of garbage. One last piece of trash finally killed it, slowing all processing to a near dead halt.

I have managed to replace the machine since I posted, and with an SSD drive, a quad-core CPU, and a sturdy video card, everything now processes so fast, I can barely keep up.

Unfortunately, although I still have my original download for Genetica 3.61, my key has vanished in the mists of time, and there hasn't been anyone around to give me any help in that department. I really would like to be able to continue using my old software until I can scratch together the cash to upgrade. Where's Customer Service?

#4 Poseidon

Poseidon

Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

Please send an email with specifics concerning your original purchase here: http://spiralgraphics.biz/contact.htm

#5 Arondelle

Arondelle

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Message is on its way. Thank you very much.

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hi! I just replied to your email.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Technical, Rendering, preview, Help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users