Photo

[Admin and other experienced users please] Question about exported image usage rights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kalel

kalel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:12 AM

After having read forums that discuss it, I have a question about preset usage rights.

While installing Wood Workshop, you might have noticed this in the EULA:

"5. Ownership of Preset Graphics.  A number of ready-made graphic images ("Presets") may come included in the Software, which are and will remain the property of Spiral Graphics Inc.  You may freely use, modify, copy, and distribute Presets.

6. Ownership of Developed Graphics.  You retain ownership of any graphic images and graphic files that you develop using the Software.  You may freely use, modify, copy, and distribute the images and files that you develop using the Software."

According to the second point, textures produced from the software can be distributed without any restrictions (as the ownership belongs to the author).

Is this a correct interpretation?

The website discusses Genetica textures and presets more deeply, but when talking specifically about the output, I've only been able to find that info in the Wood Workshop's EULA (I believe Genetica's EULA does not discuss it that way).

For Genetica exported textures, I assume that:

- You must edit the presets (cannot export directly a preset image)

- You must credit Genetica (this website) when distributing the output result image file in any form unless you have purchased Genetica, in which case you do not have to.

(So, the credit point is valid for Genetica trial, Genetica viewer)

However, for Wood Workshop, from the EULA, I would like to ask,

Are you allowed to distribute the output images (rendered image), whether adjusted, non adjusted, etc. without limitations (allowed use, credit requirements, etc), as long as you're not sharing the actual preset files?

If an adjustment is required, how is it measured, and how much do the presets need to be altered, before the rendered image can be shared?

The EULA only mentions "developed graphics' rather freely, and especially the second part "You may freely use, modify, copy, and distribute the images and files that you develop using the Software." does not seem restrictive.

I would like to hear anyone's interpertation and opinion, but most importantly from someone with relations to the company (an admin).

This is simply a legal discussion about usage rights.

Edited by kalel, 23 October 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#2 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

- You must credit Genetica (this website) when distributing the output result image file in any form unless you have purchased Genetica, in which case you do not have to.

You are right.

Since the Wood Workshop is also included in Genetica I think that the same applies also for the Wood Workshop presets.

Also all my presets have been donated to Genetica and come under the same rule.

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#3 kalel

kalel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

You are right.

Since the Wood Workshop is also included in Genetica I think that the same applies also for the Wood Workshop presets.

Also all my presets have been donated to Genetica and come under the same rule.

Thanks for your reply.

However, the Wood Workshop presets and specifically output images must be governed by Wood Workshop EULA, and it states that the output image is your own ownership.

So, if you're using Wood Workshop, not genetica: this might mean that you're not required to credit the website for distributing images created with the software, and that you could release the end result under any license you choose (public domain, or commercial). Even if Wood Workshop is based on Genetica, any requirements and limitations on the exported images should be stated somewhere specifically for Wood Workshop, as not all Wood Workshop users are genetica users. Simply put, a user should be able to read the EULA and consider that information to be valid (unless I've misunderstood it of course).

Now, distibuting presets is another matter entirely, and as specified in the EULA, presets belong to the creators, however, can be distributed freely (those from Wood Workshop).

While the terms are clear for Genetica (trial, viewer, purchased version) It would be nice to have some confirmation about this for Wood Workshop, and if it differs from the EULA, then perhaps the EULA must be adjusted as it's the thing that the users are required to abide to.

Edited by kalel, 24 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

> Are you allowed to distribute the output images (rendered image), whether adjusted, non adjusted, etc.

> without limitations (allowed use, credit requirements, etc),

That's correct. Our intention is for you to be able to freely use Wood Workshop image output in your projects. 

> as long as you're not sharing the actual preset files?

That's not correct. As you quoted from the EULA: "You may freely use, modify, copy, and distribute Presets." The Wood Workshop EULA states that Spiral Graphics owns the presets, but it still gives you the right to use and distribute them (as long as your actions don't contradict our ownership of the presets).

#5 JanLien

JanLien

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

I guess this means that one cannot sell unmodified Wood Workshop presets since he doesn't own them.

Edited by JanLien, 25 October 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#6 kalel

kalel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:05 PM

> Are you allowed to distribute the output images (rendered image), whether adjusted, non adjusted, etc.

> without limitations (allowed use, credit requirements, etc),

That's correct. Our intention is for you to be able to freely use Wood Workshop image output in your projects. 

> as long as you're not sharing the actual preset files?

That's not correct. As you quoted from the EULA: "You may freely use, modify, copy, and distribute Presets." The Wood Workshop EULA states that Spiral Graphics owns the presets, but it still gives you the right to use and distribute them (as long as your actions don't contradict our ownership of the presets).

That is nice, then Wood Workshop is really free to use. Of course since Genetica is not designed as free software, you have to purchase it first to have better conditions (and of course more functions than the free viewer) and that is fair.

Thanks for the reply and clearing things up!

Edited by kalel, 02 November 2016 - 06:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users