6 replies to this topic

#1 Vicces1212

Vicces1212

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

I think Genetica is a great tool, but the developers should give us an API or something to design custom nodes. PixelScript is a similar idea, but very limited. I don't know why they designed a whole new language and interpreter instead of giving us a C# code editor.

I found some files inside the Genetica folder referencing presets and stuff, and even reverse engineered a wtx file to try out if I can extend the Noise Lab and Select Noise nodes (seems like I can, just forgot to resize the jpg chunk), but I don't know why the basic nodes are hardcoded.

h4ck.png

Genetica seems like a dead project nowadays, but an option for extend its functionality should keep it updated even if the developers themselves don't have much time for the project.

What do you think about it?

Edited by Vicces1212, 26 April 2018 - 04:48 AM.

#2 Catsy99

Catsy99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

Please do something, anything to keep Genetica going. It's a fantastic program, with so much more potential.

Where is the original / current developer - are they still around? When we purchase the program, the funds must be going to someone?

#3 Vicces1212

Vicces1212

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

Please do something, anything to keep Genetica going. It's a fantastic program, with so much more potential.

Where is the original / current developer - are they still around? When we purchase the program, the funds must be going to someone?

If I know it correctly, Atlas is the lead developer of Genetica, but nowadays the forum (and the program itself) is so abandoned... I don't know when he wrote his last post here. I also don't know what's going on in the background, why it seems like a dead space, but I think the possibility to extend Genetica with custom nodes wouldn't need too much effort, and lovers of the program (with a bit of a knowledge in programming) can still post "updates" without the team needed to do anything.

Side note: I hope I didn't do anything illegal when I decoded these files. I never decompiled Genetica itself, just viewed some files with a HEX editor and found humanly understandable patterns inside them. Too bad that these are just references to existing hardcoded nodes, so it's still impossible to program my own logic inside them.

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:06 AM

To be blunt (I kind of feel I can be since I was a heavy duty Genetica user),

Why not consider Allegorithmic's Substance designer? If you know Genetica, all you need to do is rotate your knowledge 90' since Designer goes from left to right, and you will miss some nodes and noises that Genetica does have, but other than that, it might be a good option to consider. I sometimes still use Genetica for the caustics and animation options, but SD has most of the goodies and more.

If Atlas would consider it Allegorithmic might even want to purchase Genetica's sourcecode to port some of the procedural noises. (Thats where Genetica is still very good).

Feel free to checkout the discord: https://discord.gg/fRfTys Its a nice lot and loads of people are available for feedback and tips. Its a waem community and a lively one. KInd of like 10 years ago in this forum.

As much as i would love to see a resurrected Genetica with full PBR support, I think that isnt very likely to happen.

#5 Vicces1212

Vicces1212

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:00 AM

I sometimes still use Genetica for the caustics and animation options, but SD has most of the goodies and more.

99% of the time I use Genetica for animations, so if the Substance Designer can't do that, that's not a good replacement for me.

#6 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:08 AM

99% of the time I use Genetica for animations, so if the Substance Designer can't do that, that's not a good replacement for me.

It can if you want to. you can expose parameters to $time, and open it in substance player to see it looping. (afaik, havent tried yet. But ive seen others do it quite well).

#7 Catsy99

Catsy99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:43 AM

Hi, I had a quick look at a trial version of SD a few years ago, but I couldn't output the files to a 2D seamless texture, to look exactly the way they were created on screen with the lighting and all the nice effects. (I could get the normal map, etc, but could not put them together to make a large high-res seamless "flat" 2D texture). I don't need for 3D, only need a 2D texture generator (seamless). Can I do that with SD now?

PS. I also use Filter Forge, but I love the stuff I can do with Genetica that I can't do with Filter Forge. If I can use SD to do more as well for 2D seamless stuff, that would be ideal.

Edited by Catsy99, 16 May 2018 - 06:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users