29 replies to this topic

#16 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Oh, this is will be a big help Eclair and Funkdude for us the newcomers. Thank you in advance for your contribution.

Well that works both ways haha, i learned it alll through the community and the fun of making textures.

in about 2 weeks ill have the time to make a new tutorial, any requests? polls can be made for this i guess.

#17 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

I had forgotten all about this tutorial, and am glad that it was resurrected. It's a good one to link to whenever someone wants to know how to import an image (which comes up a few times per year).

#18 Guest_Mistress12_*

Guest_Mistress12_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:42 AM

[deleted]

Edited by Atlas, 10 September 2009 - 11:33 AM.

#19 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

I think i will wait for the tutorial to be putted here...Its a great lesson or discussion to know if we have a tutorial here...Hope this will be done...Waiting for it..

Regards

Albert

______
[deleted]

Thanks for your patience everybody. Ill have more time in a few weeks, introduction period at school is always very busy it seems, I havent forgotten :whistling:

Edited by Atlas, 10 September 2009 - 11:34 AM.
Deleted spam link

#20 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Sorry, that was clever spam. In the past day he's posted numerous similar messages in other forums in threads containing the word "tutorial".

#21 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:45 AM

Sorry, that was clever spam. In the past day he's posted numerous similar messages in other forums in threads containing the word "tutorial".

Ah well, jokes on me :whistling:

:whistling:

#22 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

I noticed one of these the other day. They post something that has no spam but is probably not on topic then they edit the signiture or post to have a stupid spam link.

#23 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

I noticed one of these the other day. They post something that has no spam but is probably not on topic then they edit the signiture or post to have a stupid spam link.

Yeah.

Another thing they do which I find impressively clever is they clone one of the emotes from the forum, and then insert it into their post as an image instead of using the emote feature. This allows them to make the emote link to a website which you can't do with emotes, but you can do with inserted images. Of course, since the inserted image looks like a standard emote, you don't think to check if it links anywhere (their goal is to increase their Google rank, so they don't care if a link is hidden). That's why when someone posts nonsense I go through it with a fine-toothed comb.

#24 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Yes they get more sophisticated. What I do not understand though is that they often choose names that provide an easy hint that they are spam creators.

Edited by MonsterMind, 11 September 2009 - 03:00 PM.

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#25 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

The random names is probably because they are most likely a bot/script based app. The people that make it could make a set of names i guess but they probably do millions of forums with that type of stuff so random would be easier for them as they would be banned on any active forums. About the image emoticons i remember there was a new member post limit thing, if it doesn't already it should do the same with images in case they try to post something bad ever, this trick i havent noticed before though. I wonder though if these companys doing these type of tactics to get high ranks why search engines don't make a script to un-list them if they have all these spam type posts, having all the dodgey posts wouldn't give them a good rep also but i guess some people must fall for the spam posts, buy stuff and they make money from it because they keep doing them more and more. They probably try the same thing with myspace links but to a different url that looks like the real thing to take accounts etc, there is so much dodgey stuff online these days though.

Edited by Music3000, 12 September 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#26 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

I wonder though if these companys doing these type of tactics to get high ranks why search engines don't make a script to un-list them if they have all these spam type posts

Google has stated that they will knock companies down or off their rankings if they use spamy tricks to boost their search results. The issue is that it's incredibly hard to write a program that can differentiate between a spam post and a real one.

#27 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Google has stated that they will knock companies down or off their rankings if they use spamy tricks to boost their search results. The issue is that it's incredibly hard to write a program that can differentiate between a spam post and a real one.

Tell me about it, I have a hard time doing so myself. Another trick spammers do is register just to get on the members list, where some forum programs don't have a way to stop guest from seeing the member list, which allows search engines to see the link to their web site. I get quite a few spammers that do this on my site.

#28 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Tell me about it, I have a hard time doing so myself. Another trick spammers do is register just to get on the members list, where some forum programs don't have a way to stop guest from seeing the member list, which allows search engines to see the link to their web site. I get quite a few spammers that do this on my site.

Yeah, last year I discovered dozens of spam signups that I never noticed because they never posted, but had terribly spamy links in their "about me" areas. That took a while to clear out. :whistling: That's one reason we completely stopped all external linking for new users.

#29 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

About the search engines i think they could do so much more than they do now with torrents and spam sites etc, rather than un-list them they rank them high up so if someone searched the name of a software there is often a dodgey site on page 1 or 2 unless it has lots of popular websites linking to it but it would still list high after those. Also it's got to the point if you go to a site like youtube if there is ever a software demo/tutorial someone will ask where they can get the software and then someone will recommend they get the torrent as if it's cool and ok to do. So yeah if the search engines just un-listed the sites with all that stuff or just placed them really low rank so people found them hard to find i honestly think it would be much less of a problem. I doubt anything will happen with that though and the search engines probably make money from doing it, they might make things for spam i guess because if it was pure spam people would use other engines but i doubt they put loads of time into it as you say.

Yeah, last year I discovered dozens of spam signups that I never noticed because they never posted, but had terribly spamy links in their "about me" areas. That took a while to clear out. :whistling: That's one reason we completely stopped all external linking for new users.

What you should do is after a while if they have no posts it emails them a message saying that the account will be deleted if they don not do anything or to click a link to re-activate it etc. Of course this would not apply to anyone that signed up for real and made at least 1-5 or so posts because if they just went off they could leave it without worrys. What it would do though is just stop those spam bots that lurk for a year or whatever not doing anything and then flood the forum with spam posts.

Edited by Music3000, 14 September 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#30 Mr_Lamppost

Mr_Lamppost

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

I thought Google supported spam.

How many web pages do you visit that are two thirds made up of “Ads by Google”? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users