39 replies to this topic

#1 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Check out physical tabletop came maps created with the help of Genetica textures here and here. Buy one and support a Genetica artist. :)

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

Looks very neat! Which genetica artist made these? What are the maps for exactly?

#3 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Good old Pen and Paper RPG. :)

#4 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Those looks very nice.

#5 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

I have never played one of those, but me and some friends wanted to play D&D one time, are those maps compatible? (No hardware conflicts?:))

#6 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

I could have sworn that D&D uses the same D20 die system. I will have to check. I did more Star Wars and Shatter Zone then anything.

#7 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Which genetica artist made these?

Some Genetica fan. I only learned about him today when he sent me a note about his maps. We'll see if he pops on to answer any other questions about his maps.

#8 Court

Court

Staff

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

These maps are fantastic! Very clever use of Genetica.

#9 JoshuaABennett

JoshuaABennett

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hi there everyone! I am the maker of those D20 Cartographer map packs, and I thought I should join up to represent myself and answer your questions! My name is Josh, and I go by The Pirate King on TheGameCrafter.com where those products are available. I'm very, very much an amateur when it comes to graphic art, and I think this helps illustrate how easy to use Genetica really is--even a laymen like myself can whip up some textures, drop them into photoshop, and create a really fun project. If you have any questions about the products, let me know and I'll be happy to answer.

My map packs are indeed compatible with Dungeons and Dragons--they were made for it. They use the standard scale of a one-inch square grid, where one inch equals five feet of "game space," so they will fit the scale of all the Dungeons and Dragons miniatures, books, and other Dungeons and Dragons maps. I believe all D20 games, Dungeons and Dragons included, use this scale.

Each board comes with double-sided map panels that align with the other boards, no matter which side you choose to use, so it effectively gives you many possible map configurations and lots of variety. Carved caverns has three double-sided panels, making for eight possible configurations. Underground Temple has six double sided panels, so it makes for sixty-four possible variations. Each panel is 10x16 inches, so when you combine several together, it makes a pretty impressively large-scale map (make sure you have a big enough table).

Also, if anyone is into indie board games or wants to try their hand at creating one themselves, I can't recommend TheGameCrafter.com enough. There are a lot of real gems on there, and it is a cool site with friendly staff.

Anyway, I hope you'll be hearing more from me soon. I really enjoyed making these and I hope to be whipping up more soon. The only catch is that I recently moves to Seoul, South Korea to work as an English teacher, so I have been a bit busy lately! Anyway, I'll be sure to stop by and update you guys if I make anything else using GeneticaViewer!

Attached Images

• Promo1.jpg
  • Promo2.jpg

Edited by JoshuaABennett, 03 May 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#10 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

Man if that ain't a flash back
Great work. I spent many a night drawing those by hand on graph paper, eons ago.
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#11 JoshuaABennett

JoshuaABennett

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

Working on a new one, thought I would post my progress thus far!

Attached Images

• house.jpg

#12 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

Cool! But how does one enter the house?

#13 JoshuaABennett

JoshuaABennett

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

Cool! But how does one enter the house?

Ah, see, but that is why it is so secure! Just kidding, the door will be that opening at the bottom. Haven't stuck it on yet, is all!

#14 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

:D Cant wait to see more! I think genetica itself can make square maps too, witht he canvas (and the new synthesis enabled styles would mean photorealism :rolleyes: )

#15 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Very nice.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users