125 replies to this topic

#31 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

Looks nice. I hear the Vistaprint ads all the time Pandora. I print my own cards on Avery 8869. I do both sides and stick some example created with Genetica on the reverse side. The reason I print my own is that I modify the slogans/example for each meeting depending on what kind of people I expect to meet there (for example, I'd take a sillier card to a games-related meeting, and a more serious card to an architecture-related meeting). But of course the card looks better if you have it professionally printed.

If you have an iPad (I don't yet, but think it's a good idea), that's also a great way to show off your portfolio. Just pull it out when you meet people and let them swipe through some examples of your work and shots of projects you worked on. Just imagine running into someone who is in a role to hire people at his studio, and being able to hand him a short video of Shattered Origins gameplay to watch right there on the spot. The chance that he'll actually see your work goes up 1000000%.

Very nice card. I should make one for myself someday as well after school. One never knows when it may be needed.

No need to wait until you're done with school. Here in SF there are a number of graphics-related meetup groups and talks that are attended by people in all stages of their career, and I'd imagine that LA has just as many if not more. All you need to do is say you're a freelancer.

By the way, I'm swinging through your neck of the woods in June for E3.

#32 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Sense i may be stuck here in the Inland Empire for 2-3 years i may hold off anyways for a card. There is no way i can get out to LA either. I only wish i can go to E3, i can't even make to ComicCon again. In the near future i certainly would not mind being a freelance artist. It is certainly possible depending on what i ultimately end up excelling in.

Edited by Allen 1, 29 April 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#33 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

Looks nice. I hear the Vistaprint ads all the time Pandora. I print my own cards on Avery 8869. I do both sides and stick some example created with Genetica on the reverse side. The reason I print my own is that I modify the slogans/example for each meeting depending on what kind of people I expect to meet there (for example, I'd take a sillier card to a games-related meeting, and a more serious card to an architecture-related meeting). But of course the card looks better if you have it professionally printed.

If you have an iPad (I don't yet, but think it's a good idea), that's also a great way to show off your portfolio. Just pull it out when you meet people and let them swipe through some examples of your work and shots of projects you worked on. Just imagine running into someone who is in a role to hire people at his studio, and being able to hand him a short video of Shattered Origins gameplay to watch right there on the spot. The chance that he'll actually see your work goes up 1000000%.

No need to wait until you're done with school. Here in SF there are a number of graphics-related meetup groups and talks that are attended by people in all stages of their career, and I'd imagine that LA has just as many if not more. All you need to do is say you're a freelancer.

By the way, I'm swinging through your neck of the woods in June for E3.

Thats a great idea, I might be bale to afford an ipad soon, a mobile portfolio is certainly worth it! My neck of the woods? Games? or Holland :). Well, make loads of fotos please :P, and some rap videos would also be nice. :thumbsup:

#34 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

Thats a great idea, I might be bale to afford an ipad soon, a mobile portfolio is certainly worth it!

I went to a presentation a few days ago and instead of bringing a laptop, the presenter plugged his iPad into the projector!

My neck of the woods? Games? or Holland :P.

The last bit of my message was for Allen so the neck of the woods I was referring to was Los Angeles! :D

#35 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

My nephew Marlon and me are starting a small indie games studio so we can make fun games in our freetime, and hopefully grow into a competitive indie game company.

More info soon! (Alot of paperwork etc.) But here are some teasers:

Attached Images

• Kiwi1.jpg
  • Kiwi2.jpg

#36 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

My nephew Marlon and me are starting a small indie games studio so we can make fun games in our freetime, and hopefully grow into a competitive indie game company.

More info soon! (Alot of paperwork etc.) But here are some teasers:

Good luck...

#37 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, best of luck to you!

What platform(s) are you looking to focus on?

#38 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

Good luck to both of you.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#39 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

Yeah, best of luck to you!

What platform(s) are you looking to focus on?

Thanks everyone!

@Atlas: We intend to launch our upcoming game to Xbox Live indie, as well as PC. We might go mobile as well, but we will have to see how the game does first.

Edited by Funkdude, 20 May 2011 - 05:17 AM.

#40 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

I finally have a website where i can share my rambling and give away texture related goodies and tips!

http://kay-vriend.name/

Feel free to check it out, add comments and improve my noob like wordpress skills :firefirefire:.

Cheers!

(when listening to La Roux - Growing Pains and looking at my avatar i nearly died laughing. Watch me dance! :firefirefire:)

Edited by Funkdude, 09 September 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#41 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Congratulations. It looks very nice. :firefirefire:
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#42 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thanks! :firefirefire:

#43 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

Looks good! :firefirefire:

#44 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

I posted another freebie on my website, (I changed the background a bit and decided to make it available to anyone interested.)

Enjoy! (GTX and HDR Environment map are in the RAR)

Posted Image

#45 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users