21 replies to this topic

#1 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

I've done modeling projects before, and a number of architectural things and so on.. but I haven't actually ever gotten to creating a proper UV mapped model with textures actually used from Genetica. But, I'm working on a little modding project for my favorite game, and trying to figure out how to create units.. so anyways, my first attempt:

Attached Images

• HeMineCompilation.jpg

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

I've done modeling projects before, and a number of architectural things and so on.. but I haven't actually ever gotten to creating a proper UV mapped model with textures actually used from Genetica. But, I'm working on a little modding project for my favorite game, and trying to figure out how to create units.. so anyways, my first attempt:

What game might that be?B)

looks pretty sci-fi :P nice job!

#3 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

What game might that be?/biggrinNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

looks pretty sci-fi /biggrinNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> nice job!

That'd be Supreme Commander, a sci-fi RTS. And thanks /smileNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:25 AM

That'd be Supreme Commander, a sci-fi RTS. And thanks :P

Cool! thats a pretty neat game, can you post a screenshot of the model in game? B) would be neat

#5 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

Very nice work! If you wanted to show us the UV texture itself, along with any details about how you made it, I'd be interested in learning more.

#6 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

Great work :)

#7 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

Ah, I can post the UV map when I get home. I made it using stock Genetica textures btw, with only a few tweaks.

It's a pretty simple model, about 100 polys (it's a tiny little mine in the game) and half of that is the ball in the middle ;p

The premise was simple - it's basically the same on all four sides, so I went ahead and UV mapped the texture for a single corner & then just used the same coordinates around the other four corners - more texture for the space! It's not quite perfect (note how the vents are a bit oblong) but it worked alright for my first try I think.
I broke it down into several sections - the top, the corners, the bits between the corners, and the inside. Then I flattened them out, packed them into the texture square, and rendered out the UVMap.

That basically gets me a nice 1024x1024 image that has a wireframe of all the geometry, so you can 'colour in' the pieces.

Opened that up in Photoshop and the real work started. First of all I wanted a consistent background texture that would show through the whole model but wouldn't be too overpowering - so I loaded up Genetica, and hunted through the metal library looking for good metal plating. Which is hard to find /tongueNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Anyways I ended up using [url="http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/metal_robust/index.htm?25#anchor"]Kirk's Entry[/url] as the base texture. Added it as a layer on top of the uv map, tinted it blue (for team colour) and checked it out in 3dsmax.

3dsmax has a great feature btw, which allows it to display a photoshop file as a texture in the the viewport, so I was constantly switching back and forth to check out how my changes looked.

Once I was happy with the background, I started adding in some of the details. Pretty much every single area I added to ended up being a new layer, so I could tweak the opacity and make it fit in with the overall image. I wasn't really sure what the best way was to make that 'faded edges' look, so I just started scribbling in some white on the edges of the corners, to see what it looked like. Turns out that a bit of white + the smear tool works pretty good. So does my Wacom tablet /smileNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />.
I added a chunk of the [url="http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/metal_robust/index.htm?33#anchor"]Silver Hex[/url] to the corners, mixed with the background (wanted those to stand out as different than the inbetween parts). From there I kept working my way through each part of the model - added a grate lifted straight off one of the standard Genetica grates, painted in a bit of dirt, used a couple dirt maps from the 3d Total Textures CD I bought a while ago to darken the sections that touched the ground, and then at the top I used the [url="http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/metal_corroded/index.htm?2#anchor"]Battered Robot[/url] texture with a bit of tweaking to get the circuitry to glow.

I chucked the ball in last just to have something to animate, since the whole purpose is to try and walk through all the features of game units, and that was pretty much just a standard G circuit texture.

Supcom requires a bit of setup to be able to convert standard texture maps to Supcom format, since they've compressed a number of effect maps into only 3 types - the Albedo, Team_Spec & Normal maps in Supcom handles team colours, glossiness, reflectivity, shine, glow, transparency and normal maps, along with the standard diffuse texture, so I'm still working on how each bit fits together.

Some of the mistakes I made:
- I didn't render out the effect / normal maps, and didn't use them in the base texture, which means I didn't have any of the bump / normal map effects.
- I made a corner section of the model with the intent of copying it 4 times.. but the end result ended up distorting the texture a bit

I have to say I really really really appreciate the 'zoom' commands in Genetica.

One question that occurred to me while typing this up - is there a good way to do dirt maps with Genetica? I was just thinking it'd be pretty nice if in G3 you could draw a line and then 'hang' dirt streaks off of it...

#8 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Here's the UVMap version of the texture (resized down from 2048x2048)

Attached Images

• diffusemap_small.jpg

#9 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ok here's the first shot I got of it actually in-game. As you can see it seems to be missing some important bits, like the middle ;P so yeah, carrying on /smileNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

MineInGame_large.jpg

#10 Cyngjoe

Cyngjoe

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

Wow, that looks really good.

#11 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

Neat! looks good ingame :) (i also like the sand by the way, genetica could make even better than that i guess :) ) well, the ball in the middle might be missing, but thats not very disturbing in my opinion, will your mod be available to everyone? are there mines in the game already? or is the lack of mines what made you make the mod?

#12 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:34 AM

Neat! looks good ingame /biggrinNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> (i also like the sand by the way, genetica could make even better than that i guess /tongueNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> ) well, the ball in the middle might be missing, but thats not very disturbing in my opinion, will your mod be available to everyone? are there mines in the game already? or is the lack of mines what made you make the mod?

Yeah I've been wanting to use G for terrain for some time, just haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. And the only disturbing part of the ball being missing is the fact that it's missing in the first place - it actually looks better without it lol.

And yes, available to all, and yes the game lacks mines - I intend to do several variants & a minelayer vehicle eventually.

#13 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the explanation, it was very interesting. And the results look great! :)

so I went ahead and UV mapped the texture for a single corner & then just used the same coordinates around the other four corners - more texture for the space!

What software did you use to design the UVs / specify how they mapped to various parts of the texture?

#14 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

One question that occurred to me while typing this up - is there a good way to do dirt maps with Genetica? I was just thinking it'd be pretty nice if in G3 you could draw a line and then 'hang' dirt streaks off of it...

You can use the upcoming Canvas node for that. That's how I placed all those smudgy brown stains in this texture: http://www.spiralfor...?showtopic=8281

#15 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the explanation, it was very interesting. And the results look great! /goodNew members can't link' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
What software did you use to design the UVs / specify how they mapped to various parts of the texture?

It's part of the 3dsmax toolset - something called Unwrap UVW. It's got some built in functions to 'unwrap' the mesh. The hardest part is deciding which parts of the mesh should stick together - basically, where the seams go.

As for dirt maps - can you make something that looks like this:

Attached Images

• tile01heavy003.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users