43 replies to this topic

#31 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Here is a new exe without the graphics. Replace it with the old one. Like to know if it works.

Still doesn't work. This time it goes straight to Vista's generic error message:

Generic_Message.JPG

Could you stick in a global exception catching clause to display the exception details and a stack trace?

#32 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Ok, i work on that. Sorry, i hoped that when i'm working whith the newest VisualStudio and Directx SDK the program will run on most Windows computer :huh:
This should only be a small techdemo, not a big program!
To handle all the errorcodes will double the code (or more). The "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." Dos'nt help this way. I had that popup manytimes,
but windows never find a solution! :(

Anyway, I will go on to handle that :)

Programming for me is fun and not even windows can change that.

Michael

#33 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

To handle all the errorcodes will double the code (or more).

I wasn't suggesting you handle each error code, but rather just catch whatever error is produced and display it in a window before the program closes. That way I can at least tell you what the error was.

#34 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Would they? People post textures in JPEG form often on this forum, and they seem sharp enough depending on the compression settings used.

Some games, like Second Life, use Jpeg2000 compression, which squeezes even more quality out of the same file size (or gives a smaller file for the same quality). The downside is that it's not widely adopted, and you may need to include a library that can read it.

Sorry, don't noticed this post until now.
I tried out what is possible.
When I use the maximum quality the result is that: ( 3 megs big)

Pixel.png

I used the colorkey 255, 000, 255 (Magenta). As result you see colorkeying 255, 000, 254!?!. What you see in magente is 255, 000, 255 ! the rest is gone by the jpg format.
It is no problem for mee to turn the magenta color into black ->no one will see the wrong pixelcolor anymore, but the collisiondetection is gone. You see the the little
playership riding on a magenta pixel.

Again, hope you know what i mean. Its not easy for me to explain it all in english.

#35 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I see how you're doing things a bit better now. One thing to consider is if you save the magenta color key alone in a PNG, separate from the texture, you'll get much better compression. PNG is good at compressing images with large flat areas of solid color. I did a quick test and your color key saved separately as a 3000 x 3000 PNG will be in the range of about 250K (using only red channel of image). That will leave you free to use whatever compression you want on the texture part. But it's just an idea--the file size may not be a significant issue for you.

Either way, great work!

#36 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:33 AM

Ok, I see how you're doing things a bit better now. One thing to consider is if you save the magenta color key alone in a PNG, separate from the texture, you'll get much better compression. PNG is good at compressing images with large flat areas of solid color. I did a quick test and your color key saved separately as a 3000 x 3000 PNG will be in the range of about 250K (using only red channel of image). That will leave you free to use whatever compression you want on the texture part. But it's just an idea--the file size may not be a significant issue for you.

Either way, great work!

Thanks.
Using a colorkeymask is on my list. I thought about that using it in a smaller format, maybe 1024*1024, for the collisiondetection ( The objects , or their mask ,must be scaled down the same amount too ). That should be precise anough an is not that time consuming. For now the framerate on my computer goes down from 2400 to 700 by setting the collisiondetection on. Using the power of two in the texturesize will also have benefit in this context.
Furthermore i'm rewriting my directx code again and have now installed the new SDK( March 2009 ). There are two more API's wich are interesting for me ( Direct2D and DirectWrite ). A new small demo.exe
( wich will run on every computer i hope :huh: ) will come in the next week or so.

#37 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

Five years later ... :whistling:

I knowed that i did something like this some time ago. But five Years ?

Never mind, i like to try generating procedural levels with Genetica.

Started with a science-fiction spacestation. This is an early stage, testing some formes and lightning.

It's about 25 Nodes.

Attached Images

• Level_U_10sm.png
  • Level_U_10_D1.png

#38 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

They are nice structures/

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#39 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

WOW ! Very nice graphics...

6R

#40 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thanx.

I'm happy with that lightning so far.

The rimlight dosn't fit at all but thats ok.

Next i will add some more details and maskout some windows for inner lightning,

but that needs a lot of nodes.

Attached Images

• Level_U_10_D2.png

#41 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

A test to add more Details.

Attached Images

• SpaceStation2sm.png

#42 bholtzman

bholtzman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Wow, that's really awesome Michael! Are you using Pixelscript or just straight nodes to achieve this?

#43 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Straight nodes !

I added the gtx.

Nodes for interrest:

In the top Group Play with the cells and frequency node.

Delete the Kaleidoscopenodes for seameless textures (there are two).

Details where maid in a noiselab later on. You find it with the second Kaleidoscopenode deeper.

Have fun.

Attached Files

#44 bholtzman

bholtzman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Thank you for sharing. I love the idea that this is procedural. It's almost like it can be made to generate game level variations entirely automatically. Not only that, but the textures look really good!.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users