Photo

What is important in Hardware for using Genetica 4.0 and get the most of it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceRay

SpaceRay

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Now that I have bought the new Genetica 4.0 Pro, I would like to know about how Genetica is using the available hardware you may have and how would be possible to improve the speed and perfomance and be able to get the most from Genetica.

CPU

How important is the CPU power? I mean if is optimized and able to benefit from all the multicores and virtual cores too?

Can Genetica recognize and use multiple CPUs ? I mean that now there are more motherboards then have 2 or even 4 CPU chips installed at the same time instead of the usual standard of one. As far as I know the hardware must be able to recognize multiple cpu´s to use them.

RAM

How important is the amount of RAM ?

How much RAM would be recommend to work with high resolutions of 6000, 9000 or higher ? 

Is Genetica RAM hungry like Photoshop?

GPU

How important is the speed and quality of the GPU - Graphics Card?

Does Genetica have hardware acceleration, or does it have OpenGL, OpenCL or CUDA acceleration?

HARD DRIVES

How about Hard drives? I suposse that Hard drive speed is not important for Genetica or I am wrong?

I have the following

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz without overclocking - Quad Core with HT = 8 cores ( 4 real cores and 4 HT cores)

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 1GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thanks for any information

Edited by SpaceRay, 24 May 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

As far as I know, Genetica loves multiple cores and uses them all. As for ram, the same applies I think. I have an aged system, 4gb ram and al older quad core (3.0 ghz), and I still get decent performance. On larger textures with AA on it gets slower though. (Most textures I make are around 500-1000 nodes), which slows it down a bit).

If I were to get a new pc i would go for maximum speed and amounts of ram, and the same with cores. So far Genetica doesn't use the gpu.

#3 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Genetica will eat up all the CPU and RAM you can throw at it.

GPU only matters if you are doing UV textures.

Hard drive speed is not really important.

#4 SpaceRay

SpaceRay

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the answer, is good to know it. 

I thought that Genetica had some kind of GPU acceleration in normal use (without UV textures) but you say that Genetica does not use the GPU.

#5 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

The day it does will be a day to remember haha, then it would be even faster!

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

I thought that Genetica had some kind of GPU acceleration in normal use (without UV textures) but you say that Genetica does not use the GPU.

That is correct. The non-3D nodes are fully CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users