• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceRay

SpaceRay

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I have Genetica 4.0 final version and when you go to Help --> Help... it opens the help in a new window BUT this does NOT included any of the images and only shows an empty square with a tiny box.

I do not know where this images from the Help should be:

1 - if they should be already inside my computer when Genetica was installed

2 - or they are loaded from internet when the Help is activated.

whatever way I can´t see any of the images of any of the pages of the Help.

Please, I want to know if this is an error from me, or also someone else has the same problem

I do not have problems with internet and I can view right and WITH images the Help manual on the Genetica website

http://www.spiralgra.../help/index.htm

But I would like also to have it available inside the software without having to go to the website and also that in the online version you can´t search inside the manual.

Thanks for any help

Attached Images

• Genetica_Help.jpg

Edited by SpaceRay, 24 May 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#2 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Looks fine to me.

Attached Images

• lok.jpg

Edited by manleystanley, 24 May 2013 - 04:51 PM.

"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#3 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

That's odd.

Try going to C:\Program Files\Spiral Graphics\Genetica 4.0\ and opening the Genetica4Help.chm file directly by double-clicking it.  Do you see images?

How big is the file?  It should be about 15 megs.

#4 SpaceRay

SpaceRay

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

That's odd.

Try going to C:\Program Files\Spiral Graphics\Genetica 4.0\ and opening the Genetica4Help.chm file directly by double-clicking it.  Do you see images?

How big is the file?  It should be about 15 megs.

Thanks, I have already found the Genetica4Help.chm and is true that it has 15 MB and should be right then, but when I double click on it it happens the same, it opens  right BUT without any of the images and do not know why.

So as manleystanley told that his version is right and you say that this is something weird I decided to make a different thing that I have done already before with another software that had also chm help files and theirs worked right but I wanted to have a PDF version of them.

I HAVE CONVERTED IT TO PDF AND THEN TO WORD

So I have taken the Genetica4Help.chm files and used 4 different software and one free online service to convert it to a PDF file (converting it to HTML or other format does not give good result) and then after I have choosen the version from the online service as it looked the best one AND with the conversion was made a whole full and complete index of all the topics included in all the whole document and keeping all the hyperlinks working and also all the hyperlinks in the newly created menu.

The conversion to PDF includes right the images, and they can be seen well, so I do not know what may be happening 

The conversion to PDF with this one has 979 PAGES !!! mainly because it adds an aditional blank page after each one of the topics and with working hyperlinks as in the original CHM version but in a better way, at least from my point of view and taste.

And although I have Adobe Acrobat X Pro you can´t edit the content of the pages, so I have converted it to a Microsoft Word document and then in Word I have optimized, modified and made it look good manually one by one of each of the pages, and configuring and rearranging what could be wrong and deleting all the empty  pages that was not needed.

After all the work there is left 679 PAGES with a font size 15 and all the texts and images in a right way, BUT as I have changed all the pages the menus hyperlinks does not work anymore, although this version could be used to be printed and then have the original version with 979 pages and including all the working hyperlinks.

Now I can convert it back to PDF and have it available to use it in a much better and useful way than the CHM file that I really do not like much and is awkward for me in the way it works. I know it is not at all a fault or error from Genetica team as this is the right way as all the CHM files work. 

I do not know if Atlas or any member of Genetica company would want and agree that I could share and give this modified PDF version, as the content is copyright and owned by the Spiralgraphics company and do not want to break any possible rule or law, but if they would allow it, I could share my converted version to any one that would want it, or I could send it first to Genetica team so they can see it so they can allow it or not.

Thanks to this error in not being able to see the included images I now have a much better version of the Genetica well done and useful manual, and if wanted I can even print it, although it has been a very long work it was worth it in the end and I am happy with the result.

Edited by SpaceRay, 28 May 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#5 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am sure Atlas would not mind. If I could download the first PDF file I could try to eliminate the blank pages,

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#6 SpaceRay

SpaceRay

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I am sure Atlas would not mind. If I could download the first PDF file I could try to eliminate the blank pages,

Well, as Atlas have not answered I can not tell anymore about this, but I can say that the first PDF file with the included new menu and all the working hyperlinks does NOT need any work to do to have it, it is done everything already automatically by the online service of CHM to PDF converter, and you do not have to do anything else to have it.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro X and I already tried to delete the added blank pages, and it can be done easily, BUT the main problem is that the menu hyperlinks are broken doing this, because when deleting a page the number of the pages are changed so the links does not go to right place or they are deleted, so if you want to keep all the hyperlinks working you can´t touch any of the pages after the conversion is made. Replacing a page instead of deleting it does not work either.

#7 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Sorry for my delay in looping back to this thread. SpaceRay, I'm more than happy for you to distribute the PDF version of the help that you made!  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users