• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Lack of any alternative platform is, in fact, the only thing that is now stopping me from buying the studio version of Genetica....

Ideally, I'd prefer a Linux version, but I'd be equally happy with a version that runs on a Mac.

Heck... port it to Java and then it'll run on any machine with a JVM. Windows included. Porting to Java from .NET supposedly isn't even that difficult, is it?

Edited by MarkT, 05 April 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#2 gabu

gabu

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

I run it with Windows7 in a Virtualbox virtual machine without any problem on Linux.

Although a native Linux version would be better.

It might be possibe to run it on Linux via Wine but I haven't tried that myself.

Edited by gabu, 06 April 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#3 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

I run it with Windows7 in a Virtualbox virtual machine without any problem on Linux.

Which is fine, I guess, for people who actually have Windows.

As for running under Wine, nope... I've tried it with the demo version.

#4 Nofew

Nofew

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

I can't express enough how badly I want to avoid this being turned into a JVM. Java, compared to compiled code, is so impossibly slow that I'd drop Genetica and ask for a refund if it were to happen. Sure, I have strong computers and patience, but tripling the time it takes to get a texture (especially a massive 20480x20480) would be a deal-breaker for me.

It'd be nice if Genetica ran on Linux, though. From what I can tell the main issue is the UI -- Everything else is probably easily portable. Perhaps after the release of 4.0 someone could take a few weeks and try to make a more Linux-friendly version..

#5 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well, the reason I suggested Java is because it's my understanding that Genetica was done in .NET, which is actually syntactically very similar to Java, and it'd be my guess that translating Genetica to Java might very well be the only tractable solution to portability. Obviously, we'd need one of Genetica's developers to weigh in on that notion to confirm or deny this.

For what it's worth, however, Java isn't even actually slow compared to .NET either, since .NET code is managed, and not strictly native in the same sense that C or C++ compiles to native code.

However, I don't want to get into a debate over which system is better than others. All I really want to see is the availability of a non-windows version of Genetica as well. For myself, that could be either for Mac or Linux. I just can't fiscally justify the update costs to myself for a studio version otherwise.

Edited by MarkT, 15 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Nofew

Nofew

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

Genetica's done in .net? Oh, Java's fine then. Sorry, I thought it was written in C++. My bad. x.x

I know windows 8 is horrible, but a new copy's $80 or so. Compared to a $539 upgrade from Pro to Studio, $80 is pretty small. You might want to consider it.

#7 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Nice sales pitch there.... "I know X is horrible, but it only costs $Y"... Yup. :)

So.... is telling me how much it would cost to buy Windows supposed to be a roundabout way of telling me that wishing for a non-windows version is pointless, because it's just not realistically likely to happen in the forseeable future?

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I'd be if that were the case. It's like being told that the most awesome car you could ever imagine and totally want to own is only ever going to be available in an absolutely horrifying color scheme, and repainting just isn't viable for some reason or another.

#8 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

guys, keep in mind that
1)Most users on this forum are just that users (with the exception of Atlas) and therefore can only guess as to the future of Genetica and whether or not it would be ported to any other language.
2)I have a feeling that Spiral Graphics is a small company and therefore may only have a few coders and may only know a few languages.
3)Even if the code was ported to another language there are other factors to contend with besides learning a new language. Like the graphic library, differences in file formats (if any), etc.
4)All the above is guess work on my part since I am nothing more than a lonely user.

#9 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

You mean lovely user right? ;-)

The way i see it, the more people able to use Genetica for their artwork, the better. But only the mods/admins know how feasible it is. I wouldnt be surprised if in the future Genetica would go multiplatform (if there is such a thing as multiple platforms then). Perhaps it can be run on windows tablets even at some point.

Edited by Funkdude, 24 April 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#10 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

In April of 2010, Atlas commented on another thread in this forum that although there was a lot of interest in doing a Linux port eventually, he said that a Linux port might be a while on account of wanting to get certain new features into the software first. He followed it up with the following comment, however, that gave me some hope:

Some very large movie studios are on Linux, so it's an OS I'm actively interested in seeing Genetica on. My original post was just trying to keep it real regarding the timeline since we're currently up to our gills working on some pretty hot but tricky features . . .

That was over 3 years ago, however. Genetica has had multiple version releases since that time, and still a Linux version seems just as far away as it ever was.

Still, this is a forum for feature requests, and I'm just saying that I still want it, so I'm still requesting it.

Edited by MarkT, 24 April 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#11 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

No problem there, we all request things from time to time. I don't even remember that post back in 2010, so looks like it is on the list of to-do's. Problem is we don't know how long that list is.

#12 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I did sincerely think that porting Genetica to other platforms was a possibility. However, as time goes it's looking less feasible. I'm sorry to deliver that disappointing news.

#13 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

One never knows what happens in the future, therefore it is unwise to rule out anything in the future. {I sound like a Chinese fortune cookie, LOL...}

#14 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Okay... well that's that then.

Nuts.

One never knows what happens in the future, therefore it is unwise to rule out anything in the future.

Not terribly relevant... in the developer's own stated view, it does not seem feasible. Since they would know far better about the matter than anyone else could ever hope to, it seems infinitely more realistic to accept their appraisal of the situation as an accurate assessment that it's not something worth holding out any hope for.

#15 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I guess I am saying to never give up hope on anything as no one knows what could happen. For example someone may apply to be a programmer for Spiral Graphics, or one the current employee's takes a nightly course and finds out half way through they are going to start another language, or Atlas wins the Lottery and decides to restaff the company, or buy out another company. And this is the positive side of that coin. Which is where I like to see...
So its all how you look at life, realistically or optimistically. either one could win out, since we can not see the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users