50 replies to this topic

#31 conniekat8

conniekat8

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

This is the best I could do - it's not bad for crackled patent leather, but I got very sidetracked making that very nice supple leathery look Atlas does so well!

Attached Images

• Distress005TN.jpg

Attached Files

#32 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

This is the best I could do

Actually I think yours is excellent too. :(

#33 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

This is the best I could do - it's not bad for crackled patent leather, but I got very sidetracked making that very nice supple leathery look Atlas does so well!

Your sample is very nice for old cracked leather. :thumbsup:
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#34 conniekat8

conniekat8

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Thanks guys! Yea, it's a pretty decent texture. It just wasn;t what I wanted for the current project, and I didn't know how to get from that to what I wanted. Atlas saved the day!!!!!

#35 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

Atlas saved the day!!!!!

:thumbsup:

:D

#36 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

He's also known for carrying the world on his back whilst standing on a pile of infinite turtles :thumbsup:

#37 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

He's also known for carrying the world on his back whilst standing on a pile of infinite turtles :thumbsup:

You may be thinking of Discworld/Terry Pratchett. :D Atlas stood on the earth and held up the heavens.

#38 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

You may be thinking of Discworld/Terry Pratchett. :thumbsup: Atlas stood on the earth and held up the heavens.

Ah i might be confused, Standing on his hands then?

#39 7foot_sativa

7foot_sativa

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

And here's some black leather.

Could you make it so that it doesn't have the reflections on the texture? I'd like to use it in a mod where I can give it it's own in-game reflection. The light reflection marks would look odd when stretched over an in-game model. When I set the scale to -2 it loses all the reflections and stuff but I'm sure you'd be able to do a better job than me just rescaling.

#40 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

Welcome! And thank you for your question.

Interestingly, if you remove the reflections from this texture, what you're left with is a pure black image. Here's a screenshot of the node tree in Genetica:

Color_Is_Black.JPG

That shows how this is a pure black texture with reflections added. So you could try reproducing the same thing in your game engine by using a black image and a rendered out version of the bump map and environment map.

What_to_Render.JPG

Leather_Bump__Normal_Map_.jpg

Environment.jpg

I brought those maps into iClone which I use to test shaders, but you can just use your game engine. As you can see it seemed to work fairly well:

Result_in_iClone.JPG

Is that what you were looking for?

#41 Mr_Lamppost

Mr_Lamppost

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

You may be thinking of Discworld/Terry Pratchett. :P Atlas stood on the earth and held up the heavens.

That would also make you an elephant :)

#42 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

You may be thinking of Discworld/Terry Pratchett. :) Atlas stood on the earth and held up the heavens.

Well, this is supposed to be the original version of the myth but later versions in antiquity shoe Atlas holding up the earth than this presented a more interesting set up for artists to work with.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#43 7foot_sativa

7foot_sativa

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Wow that's very cool, it sounds very complex. I will show my own pictures of how the textures work through the game if I get around to uploading them with my evil internet. I only just started trying to mod, been almost 1.5 months I think since. So I don't know textures very well, but I'm starting to get used to them. Once I get pictures I can explain them better. Basically the game uses 4 different texture types, BM(the texture that gives it color), MM(the texture that effects how much light reflects), NM(the texture that effects how the light reacts to it's surface like metals or leathers) and TM(the texture that tells a certain part to glow which is used the least out of all the different models).
With BM I give it's appearance and colors.
With MM I give the texture different shades of white or black, black being not reflective and white being highly reflective.
NM is the most complicated, it has the normal channel which is in shades of pink and an alpha in shades of greyscale, if done correctly the end result usually looks like an imprinting of the model, the alpha channel seems to be alot more detailed than the normal one.
And finally the TM I think follows the same rules as MM only instead of reflection light more or less it glows more or less, but I haven't work with TM yet.

With models the texture maps are literally maps, each location of the texture could be a different part of the model so it can get a little confusing sometimes. Since I'm a novice at textures I think giving you an idea of how the game textures work might help you help me better. :)

I came across a site that had a bunch of free software while looking for leather, it had genetica 2.5. The get more texture button on it lead me here. I think genetica would be highly useful for my need of textures, only it's very expensive, if I could afford it I'd probably buy it. I don't know if I can do anything other than view on the viewer, but I feel this forum is going to be very handy for more than just leather. Looks like not many people are aware of genetica, I have linked to this site on the modding forum I use as asked in the rules, which might bring more modders here. I hope I'm not writing too much with my novel-like posts.

#44 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

What game/engine are you using for the modding?

#45 7foot_sativa

7foot_sativa

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm modding Devil May Cry 4, and I remembered that I shouldn't upload pictures since I can't link on here. I don't know what the engine is but it's a confusing Capcom one, which people are still figuring out even though it's been around for 2-3 years now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users