• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Geo

Geo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

It seems that the program hangs when I try to render out a texture to the above size. Up to 512 it renders it out, but it is very slow, why does it take so long to render something which seems so simple compare a rendering a hole scene?

Thanks

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hey Geo! :D

I suspect that it might not be hanging. If you render at 1024 with anti-aliasing turned on, it may stay at a certain percentage for a few minutes, but will keep going after that. You might want to try turning off anti-aliasing for test renders, and only using it for final renders.

> why does it take so long to render something which seems so simple compare a rendering a hole scene?

Wood Workshop textures are the equivalent of applying several hundred high resolutions filters in a photo-editor right after the other. Many scenes are simpler than that.

What processor does your computer have?

Atlas

#3 Geo

Geo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Atlas.

I did left it running for a quite some time, but I will leave it for longer next time.

I tried it on a intel 3.2 Gig machine as well as a dual AMD 2.8 Gig.

Cheers

Geo

#4 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

> I tried it on a intel 3.2 Gig machine as well as a dual AMD 2.8 Gig.

Don't know which system is your main one, but I'll mention that Wood Workshop uses an older version of the Microsoft .NET Framework (version 1.1) and that some AMD users have reported noticeable speed improvements when switching to the newest version of the .NET Framework (version 2.0).

If you would like to experiment with upgrading your version of the .NET Framework, here are some tips:

- You can check which version(s) of the Microsoft .NET Framework you have by looking in the Add/Remove Programs list.

- Version 2.0 can be download here: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

- Important note: Multiple versions of the .NET Framework can be installed simultaneously, and the Wood Workshop will continue to use the older version even after the new version is installed. In order to force Wood Workshop to use the newest version, after installing .NET 2.0, uninstall the older versions.

Atlas

#5 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

Hi Atlas, how is it going buddy?

Have you heard if Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 speed up Genetica 2.5 Pro too? I'm not using AMD and I'm using M.NF 1.1.

Atlas, Should I use 2.0?

Has anybody else used G2.5P with M.NF 2.0? What was the results?

Cheers,
Penguin.

Not iStockphoto member yet? Do you want to get 10 free credits to start downloading stock photos? Click here.

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

Aside from specific processors where the speed improvement can be larger, .NET 2.0 typically provides roughly a 10% speed improvement. So there is likely to be an improvement, but I don't know if it will be big enough for you to notice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users