#16 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

:good:

Well i dont know whats the rule the with textures made by others then spiralgraphics staff during beta time....

The rules are the same, your textures are yours. I just meant it didn't sound like he was using your stuff in an actual product, but that he was just experimenting with them.

#17 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

I downloaded this, and tried it. It runs for me, a few things though:
- Turn VSync off, that would boost performance pretty much.
- Give the users the possibility to set the options, like resolution, colour depth, etc. It isn't that difficult to make, but would add much.

Otherwise, it isn't bad, and it ran smoothly (except for a few slowdowns due to VSync).

Thanks for the tips.

Tried to turn the VSync off, but didn't found the switch until now. I'm using the DXUT framework handling the most things for now and
there is no function handling that direct. But it's height on my list.

I'm on the way to run in different resolutions but not everything is done. Alt+Enter brings you in windowed mode to see what happend when resolution changes.

#18 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

Pretty often. I test games from time to time and click "yes" whenever they ask to update DirectX 9 or 10. I don't have the SDK installed though. I tried the "dxdiag" utility to see what version I have, but it only says I have DirectX 10 installed. I'm pretty sure 9 is installed too, but the utility doesn't give details on older versions that are also installed.

I tried looking to see what version of the file I have, but haven't been able to figure out yet where DirectX installs itself for me to peek at the files.

I had a look to my dlls

Screenshot.png

It seems to me that you must have the SDK installed for running the app, or i have to put the dll in the same folder as the exe.
Don't know why at the moment, but i'm working on that.

#19 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for pointing out where I can find the file. My DirectX 9 files go up to version 38. I guess I don't have the latest installed after all.

#20 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

You can update from here:

http://www.microsoft...6a-9b6652cd92a3

I like to know if it works.

#21 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

You can update from here:

http://www.microsoft...6a-9b6652cd92a3

I like to know if it works.

Yup, that worked. It filled in all the missing DLL numbers (39 and 40 in my case, both for DirectX 9 and DirectX 10).

I got a kick out of seeing the textures bouncing around in your little test app. :clap:

#22 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Two new screenshots:

ScreenShot.jpg

ScreenShot02.jpg

I rewrote my directx code, no longer using the dxut library. All coding now manually to have more control of what i'm doing.
Textures all Genetica ( I think i have to cut some edges). Only added some details on the little playership.
A little flythrought demo will follow soon. I found out a way to have a "per pixel collisiondetection" in directx :D which
i will implement first.

#23 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Looking good!

#24 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

Here we are, flying across a seamless Genetica texture:

http://www.promagra....llisionTest.zip

Use the cursor keys to fly around.

#25 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

The gtx

Attached File  level005.gtx   11.96KB   137 downloads

Attached File  level005_Back00.gtx   11.48KB   130 downloads

#26 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Although your original test app works on my computer now that I upgraded DirectX, your new test app doesn't:

error.JPG

#27 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Although I couldn't run the game, I took a peek at the files and have a small tip for keeping your game size down:

level005.png takes a whopping 9 megs because you saved it as a PNG. I know you did this because you needed the alpha channel, and JPEG doesn't support alpha. But there's a better way.

1. First save it as a JPEG.

2. Select Alpha in the results tab.

Alpha.JPG

3. Now save the alpha as a JPEG.

4. In your game load both JPEGs and combine them programmatically. Now you'll have the same result at a fraction of the size.

#28 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for youre reply. Will have a look why the D3DxCreateFont won't work.
With the png file youre right, its a big download. But i dont need the alpha channel. I need the colorkey!
Thats what get lost by a jpg . The sharp edges will be gone. Know what i mean ?!?. I would be happy when
there is a way to avoid that in a jpg.

#29 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Here is a new exe without the graphics. Replace it with the old one. Like to know if it works.

http://www.promagra....rces/Game2D.exe

#30 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

The sharp edges will be gone. Know what i mean ?!?.

Would they? People post textures in JPEG form often on this forum, and they seem sharp enough depending on the compression settings used.

Some games, like Second Life, use Jpeg2000 compression, which squeezes even more quality out of the same file size (or gives a smaller file for the same quality). The downside is that it's not widely adopted, and you may need to include a library that can read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users