33 replies to this topic

#16 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

Have you taken a look at e-on's plant factory. Its a bit expensive, but can do quite a lot with procedural plants and other things.

They have some cool stuff, and great renders. I'm not sure that its better then x-frog though. Thanks for the tip! Perhaps in a later stadium i can get it (Node based kind of suits me haha).

#17 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Are they updating x-frog (full app) at all or just the plug in versions? I haven't seen any increase in version numbers in a along time which has me holding off and the plugin version are more for c4d or maya. Which I have neither.

#18 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

I'm not sure, i think due to the sale there will be a newer version pretty soon though. Ive purchased 3.5 standalone. That can make stuff rangin from low poly, to movie grade trees with some effort. The e-on trees are mighty impressive though haha. Especially the gnarled palm tree trunk they have on the site.

#19 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

I am more interested in realistic trees. Which is why I have been debating for a long time. I would like to get x-frog, but I would like to know that I am not throwing money away either. If they have no plans to upgrade, how much long will it run before it no longer runs on newer OS and/or system.

The problem that I have with e-on's solution is not only the cost is higher, but their stipulations on how to use the software. The more freedom you want the more it costs. And I don't like that. I figure, if I design it, I should own the design and use it how I like. If they were templates or pre-built meshes, then yeah, I would understand that. But from scratch, the designer should have the say.

#20 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

E-on's way of doing things does not make sense to me. Too many regulations. I like my freedom to create what I want. I was able to create just about anything with x-frog and I was quite satisfied when I was testing it out.

#21 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

All this talk, and I ended up breaking down and getting xfrog and library 1. I see its going to take a bit to learn the ins and outs.

#22 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

Sweet! I'd love to see what you are making. I'll prbably buy the library as well at some point. Short on cash right now :)

#23 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

I wasn't going to but there was a decent savings getting both at the same time. So, I figured I would use them sometime so it is worth it.

#24 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Xfrogging is going pretty good, it's hard to make it match references 100%, but textures help a lot. I need to practice some more to get the trees perfect, and more low poly whilst preserving details.

I'll show some samples when I have some non-commercial stuff done.

Due to an epic stroke of luck I have a filter forge licence now as well, but haven't yet tried to build a texture. I won't go in to details about it here, those guys have their own forum and if I make something it'll end up there and on my blog. I do miss lots of stuff in there that Genetica does have, but it opens up new possibilities as well.

#25 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

This is one of the first attempts with xfrog which was then edited and rendered in lightwave.

I have been wanting to do a wreath for a long time but didn't feel like doing the work involved. LOL.

Attached Images

• wreath.jpg

#26 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

BTW, the blue background is a texture from genetica.

#27 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

That looks neat! Xfrog has tons of non-plant uses it seems.

A small update (not on site yet), I've upgraded my arsenal quite a bit. Aside from xfrog I also have world machine, and substance painter. Soon I will add the substance suite, even though I purchased painter before the bundle became available, but those guys are helping me out with that, so I don't have to buy the same thing twice.

After that I might go for terragen to generate neat skies. I've tested it and it's quite easy to make something good. Learning xfrog was fun as well. Somehow node based programs just work very well for me haha.

Future stuff might be the quixel suite if they do a standalone version. (Photoshop is a tad expensive).

#28 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

I recall using X-Frog for plenty of designs other then flora. It was interesting to say the least.

I have a lot of older World Machine presets that if you are interested in taking a look at, let me know. Substance Painter looks very nice. I had seen those videos and was impressed.

If you need help with Terragen skies, let me know. I am still diving deep into making many sky scapes.

There is Photoshop Elements which is around one hundred US Dollars I think. Might want to look into that... GIMP might be a decent alternative.

#29 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hey Allen 1,

Thats awesome! I'd love to check them out, if only for learning purposes.

Terragen can output some really neat stuff. If and when I have it I could share some environments on the forum for use in Genetica.

Gimp is a neat tool, and constantly under development as far as I know. Paint.NET seems similar in function as well.

#30 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

I will share them, unlikely that I will use most of them. As soon as I can find them.

I should create a couple of good environments myself. Been meaning to.

I forgot about Paint.NET.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users