262 replies to this topic

#31 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

You inspired me to make this, its a different style, but has a cartoony vibe to it :)

Attached Images

• Cartoon Stones.jpg

Attached Files

#32 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Sorry for the delay, but I've activated your account to be able to post links now! You're actually an old member, but you originally signed up just before we tightened the forum security so you had slipped through the cracks.

Great job on the textures by the way! :thumbsup:

#33 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

WOW ! Very nice texture, Funkdude...
Yes, there is a cartoony style !!! But we can see you added your own talent/style to it !!! That's great !!!
I'm happy to have inspired you...

Thanks a lot Atlas... for the kind comments and for the possibility to add links now.
Yes, it's true. I registered for a long long long time but was too stupid to efficiently use Genetica 2.5 !!!
Then for a few weeks I have tested again and have discovered the 3.6 trial version and I could do exactly what I wanted in a few minutes thanks to the new fantastic functions ! And Daz suddenly offered a discount... So I couldn't resist !!! :wub:
And the nice comments of your forum users motivated me to go further...

Here is the link of the video about the game : (I will add a playable demo soon !)
Look at full screen and maxi resolution...

6R

#34 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your kind words! I might venture further into cartoon like textures, but I find it hard to do minimalistic textures with a good look.

#35 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Your game looks neat by the way! An interesting tool for sound effects might be sfxr by dr petter. (He made tons of neat game dev tools)

#36 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Kind of a cool game. At the moment it seams to be a bit on the easy side. But for young folks it may be just right.

To make it harder you could disable the lifting on the controller making the game do the work. Then the controller would be responsible for steering and breaking(allowing the character to drop).

Or instead of game over by hitting the wall, add some animated objects that the character has to go over or through to get to another location. Hitting that animated object would end the game.

Yeah I kind of like the second one better, it more in sync with other games. Then you could add a difficulty level selector, the higher the setting the more animated objects and not as many objects that adds a life.

Anyway, just ideas, its your work of art...

#37 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

@ Funkdude :
You have found the problem : <<minimalist textures with a good look !>>. And then, once you have made the texture, it can be not so good as expected on the objects or ground or...
I have used sfxr !!! ;-)

@ Silkrooster :
Thanks for the ideas...
Yes, the hero will have to avoid animated objects or opening/closing doors or falling objects,...
And maybe an educational side (solve operations to have lives again !) because I'm a teacher !?!
Hitting the wall could reduce health instead of dying and the hero would have to find health case for example.
Actually all is for testing textures, lights and effects and for learning coding too...

6R

#38 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I just have found this "new" kind of Cartoon style : (I have removed the seamless side here because people have started to rip my textures and to share them without authorization ! It means they are good enough but it isn't fair !). :angry:
Evolution : No Cracks or Cracks !

6R

WallToonCracks.jpg

WallToonCracksNo2.jpg

WallToonCracksNo.jpg

Edited by p6r, 03 December 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#39 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

I like the first and last one best :)

#40 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info...

Very clever your way to combine A*B with 2 Cells to have another kind of stones and to add Tone Curve to Noise !

6R

#41 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks! Combining the cells makes for more varied patches of rocks, and the tone curve adds a nice bevel to it. I use it all the time to give shapes a nice edge.

#42 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks! Combining the cells makes for more varied patches of rocks, and the tone curve adds a nice bevel to it. I use it all the time to give shapes a nice edge.

Huh, never tried that combination before.

#43 p6r

p6r

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Using your great Noise + Toon Curve system we can quickly make Cavern Backgrounds for games, for example...
Then I have tested some other combinations for : Walls with "Graffitis", with a kind of "Mayas" shapes, with Fresco.
(On the video we can't see, even at high resolution, the toon style - it's the one above ! - but it looks very interesting !)

6R

#44 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yes, the possibilities are endless.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#45 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks! Looks neat, the tone curve is great for defining shapes, like the 3d wine glass Alan_1 and Atlas made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users