Photo

Third attempt at Genetica, failed again.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MKULTRA

MKULTRA

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

I've had Genetica for years.  I can never get anywhere with it.  I find it totally unintuitive and a nightmare to use, and always give up after a day or two.

I've got Genetica V4, basic edition. 

I'm making this post just for feedback purposes, since if I could actually get anything useful out of Genetica I'd use it all the time.  I expect I'll get responses complaining that I'm wrong, it's easy to use, and people use it all the time. Good for them.  I'm afraid I can never make heads or tail of it.

I suppose the essential problem is simple.  It's supposed to be a node editor.  Cool, I've used node editors before, they're nice and simple, just connect the boxes up with wires.

But Genetica turns this elegant concept into some kind of confusing matryoshka nightmare.  Whenever I wire anything up to anything, my layout gets reshuffled into "references", and then references within references.  And then trying to get around within these boxes-within-boxes is an even bigger nightmare. 

Within one or two attemps at making very basic layouts (a block of colour, a few noise filters, a constrast or brightness adjustment) I end up with some ultra-confusing mess of references to references, with no clear way to edit any of it.

*sigh*  sorry.  I know how unappealing a negative rant is.  But everytime I try to use Genetica, it's the same thing.  It insists on constanty re-organizing all my nodes with the result that I can't follow any of it, and can never actually make the effects and textures I want.  I looked in preferences for a way to deactive this automatic "reference" grouping, but can't find anything.

So once again, I find myself giving up on Genetica and going in search of something else.

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

Yeah genetica can be pretty daunting at times, but i've been using it for years and am used to how it works. Can you perhaps share a GTX that shows your issues? Maybe then some forum users can clarify/explain some things you're having a hard time with. If you follow some of the tutorials, youll get more familliar with how Genetica woks too i guess.

#3 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have been using Genetica for years and have no problems. As a matter of fact it is a lot of fun. Look at the work other people posted in  this forum and analyze it to understand how it works. There are also thousand of presets that come with the software that are beautiful examples.

I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#4 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

If you are doing simple basic layouts, then stop grouping. Grouping is there for complex layouts that take up a lot of room. It is just a way to hide nodes. References are important to groups, if they have an input, then they need to have a reference. Think of references as a type of instancing, it allows you to have a single input source and let multiple groups use that one source. This becomes important when your source is an image or a complex group.

The problem I always have had with groups (haven't check lately so could be fixed) was it had no way to ungroup unless you did an undo, which it self does not have a large stack.

But, for basics, just keep it simple and you can learn a lot from how it works. If you have questions, like Funkdude said, post a gtx file and someone will figure it out for you. These people including myself are more than willing to answer any questions and give tips when needed.

Its time for you to start having fun with it, after all you paid for it.

#5 JamesB

JamesB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

I know it's been a while since the post but I thought I'd reply in the hopes it helps either OP or some other poor new users who was initially struggling like I was.

I think a lot of you guys have been using Genetic for so long you missed what was happening to mkultra, who was trying to link nodes by dragging the output from one node to another (which, frankly, is the natural think to do in a node editor) instead of dragging the nodes themselves, and thus inadvertantly creating groups with references instead of a simple link.

MKULTRA, here's how to make simple node connections.  There are three basic methods that I can see:

* Right-click on the node editing canvas to insert a new node.  DO NOT drag a connection from the output of another node onto this node.  Instead, drag the new node onto the bottom edge of the node you wish to connect to.

* Right-click on a node, then select "Insert Below" on the context menu to create a connected node.

* Drag a node from the right panel and drop it onto the bottom edge of the node you wish to connect to.

Edited by JamesB, 01 April 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#6 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

This is a good point. If a beginner was use to other node type programs, one would expect to drag out a connecting line between two nodes. When in fact the opposite happens, you drag out a new node and place it below the previous nodes and they auto connect. The newer version can have a new node set to the side allowing you to create a collection of nodes before connecting. Again some one use to the other style would assume this is normal and can not get the line to drag out. When all they need to do is drag the top node (everything under it will follow) to the rest of the nodes.

All of this makes more sense when you try it out and or watch some of the training tutorials that Altas was so kind to create.

#7 DarwinGogs

DarwinGogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

,-)°°@ (<_<)(~~>.<~~)°°@ °°@°°@ °°@"(@):-~)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users