9 replies to this topic

#1 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

So far im having a blast with Genetica 4's 3d import features, however there are some things i would love to have as well:

When importing an obj file that has materials assigned to groups, it would be great to have the groups in Genetica as well (So you can assign specific textures to those groups, like metal to metal parts, rubber for rubber groups etc).

The AO render pipeline seems a tad slow, but that is probably my gpu.

If Genetica were able to "optimise" uv's (arrange the uv parts so more texture space is used) that would be awesome too, but that might have little to do with being a texture program, and more with being a modelling program.)

Here is an early model im working on in groboto, and it can export material zones, but in Genetica that is of no use as for now.

Knipsel.JPG

#2 Roger Wise

Roger Wise

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Agreed.  I would call that "surfaces"

I'd also like "Islands" which would allow me to adjust individual UV sections (defined by continuity).  Sometimes it's good to have detailed control here, especially for resizing.

I haven't fiddled with the 3D feature very much yet, but does it account for normal maps? 

An accelerated viewer window would be next up on my list.

Also, 3D materials.  The ability to project planar(2D) and solid (3D) designs.  Quickest example is wood, which is mostly a 2D projection (a 2D node of concentric rings) that varies slightly along the length of the model.  A more rubust example would be 3D polkadots.

A Lab is in order at some point.

Edited by Roger Wise, 28 May 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

3D materials could mean an offset of the same texture in a z direction indeed, but for a 1024x1024x1024 render performance would drop significantly i think. Material groups support would be easier to accomplish soon I guess.

#4 NanetteTredoux

NanetteTredoux

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yes! this would help me too. Good thinking.

#5 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

What would help a lot as well is being able to drag and drop with the free transform node. Now you have to use the scroll wheel or the small buttons, and a way to drag inputs would be very welcome (perhaps like the point light ball? And a way to determine the precision, so you can do rough approximations and then finetune it with great precision)

#6 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

DÉJÀ VU
1 a : the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time

b : a feeling that one has seen or heard something before

lol Yes, being able to select which shader zone to work with would be quite nice. Save me cutting models apart ;)

And agree about optimizing UVmaps. As old as UVmapper is, it's a much needed tool, that works quite well. G4's 3d nodes doesn't do well with out of range UV's, which are quite common in free meshes; and not so free lol

"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#7 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

So far im having a blast with Genetica 4's 3d import features, however there are some things i would love to have as well:

When importing an obj file that has materials assigned to groups, it would be great to have the groups in Genetica as well (So you can assign specific textures to those groups, like metal to metal parts, rubber for rubber groups etc).

The AO render pipeline seems a tad slow, but that is probably my gpu.

If Genetica were able to "optimise" uv's (arrange the uv parts so more texture space is used) that would be awesome too, but that might have little to do with being a texture program, and more with being a modelling program.)

Here is an early model im working on in groboto, and it can export material zones, but in Genetica that is of no use as for now.

attachicon.gifKnipsel.JPG

I have been thinking about this. And from what I can tell, Genetica has no way of assigning UV maps to an object that has no maps. If it did, then surfaces/groups/parts (or how ever you want to label them) wouldn't be as necessary, since a UV map could include all surfaces in a single map. But if it did support surface selection, then it would be possible to have multiple UV maps, which would mean more detail for a given map.(assuming resolution of said map did not change that is).

#8 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good suggestions.

And agreed about the shader zones. I can see that being highly useful.

#9 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

It would also be very useful if you can feed a (mapped) high poly model into Genetica, and bake maps for a low polygon version. So you would have 2 existing models, and you can bake the details from the high poly model to the low poly one. Thats a tedious process usually, but with Genetica it could be made very simple i think.

Im also missing a render environment button in the top toolbar, it was there in genetica 3.6 i think.

(Brainfart alert: It might be interesting, although timeconsuming to have an API engines can use for using adjusters for a genetica texture in-engine. Would be a timesaver i think, and would allow for alot of flexibility in terms of making variations for tons of models).

#10 Dushka

Dushka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:00 PM

Agreed.  I would call that "surfaces"

I'd also like "Islands" which would allow me to adjust individual UV sections (defined by continuity).  Sometimes it's good to have detailed control here, especially for resizing.

You can work on individual islands by inserting a Canvas lab under the "Apply UV" node and use the various drawing tools combined with layering to fill each island with a separate texture. Not sure about the resizing bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users