• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 angelize

angelize

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi, I'm new here and I've been looking around, and trying out some of textures that come with the free viewer. I use a program called Designer Pro from Xara Ltd. The textures work wonderfully there. I'm planning on recommending the free viewer and its textures to other Xara users but I have a couple of questions
1. Will the free viewer be upgraded to work with newer textures?
2. Are new texture packs for the viewer still released?
3. would there be any options for someone who was looking to purchase new textures/packs?

#2 angelize

angelize

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Is there anyone who can answer my questions? I'm posting this recommendation on a large busy forum where there are users who may potentially look at purchasing the full Genetica. I'm primarily testing with Xara software but there are 3D users, Photoshop users etc who this will be reaching as well

#3 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Majority of the members on this forum are users like your self. Therefore would not know much more than your self on the future of the software. The person who can answer you probably has not read this thread yet, otherwise he would have replied by now.
Send a pm to Atlas with a link to this thread. That way he can reply in this thread allowing anyone else in the same situation to also get an answer.

#4 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

You can also look at the basic version of Genetica that comes with many more free textures and gives you access to a big number of additional textures that are published on the forum many of which may be free to use.
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#5 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi Angelize, and welcome to the forum!

1. The free viewer will be upgraded in a sense . . . it is to be replaced by an improved free app that hopefully will be announced within the next couple months.

2. More free textures will be coming. We're currently in a quiet period pending our next major release, but you can expect more textures with the next release.

3. We don't currently have plans to sell textures, and intend to continue offering our textures free.

Please let me know if I can help further!

#6 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

Where is the present free viewer? I was going to link to it from the DAZ forum and couldn't locate it here.
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#7 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.spiralgra...iewer/index.htm

#8 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

The Viewer hasn't been updated in a while, so it won't render any textures made with a newer version of Genetica. We're considering a new free offering to replace it, although that hasn't been publicly announced yet.

#9 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Been waiting on this before uploading GTXs to the Carraracafe. Guess I need to reinstall 3.5 to get this roling. I wanted to try uploading GTXs to carraracafe so people could download them and render them with the viewer, rather then uploading a full series of texture mapps.

Now where did I put 3.5 :unknow:

Edited by manleystanley, 08 December 2013 - 09:59 AM.

"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#10 Poseidon

Poseidon

Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

You can find previous versions here: http://www.spiralgra...ad_previous.htm

#11 JanLien

JanLien

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Been waiting on this before uploading GTXs to the Carraracafe. Guess I need to reinstall 3.5 to get this roling. I wanted to try uploading GTXs to carraracafe so people could download them and render them with the viewer, rather then uploading a full series of texture mapps.

Now where did I put 3.5 :unknow:

I think that it has been mention somewhere in this forum that the viewer was never upgraded to version 3.x

#12 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm working on a 3D freebie, and I was planning on including the resource files I used to make it, including the gtx files -- only to discover that they don't open in the Genetica Viewer, since I'm working in Genetica 4.0 Pro and the viewer only goes up to 3.5 right now.  :unknow: 

So, any ETA on a Genetica 4 Viewer?   :bang: 

Edited by BethQQQ, 08 December 2014 - 11:27 AM.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

#13 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

On a slight off topic, The latest version of photoshop can be of use here. I supports a 3d format that Acrobat supports. Which means you can export a 3d object from your dedicated 3d app that photoshop understands like .obj. Then with photoshop export out that format to the format that acrobat understands.

In this scenario photoshop is acting as a bridge, but your viewers can use the free adobe acrobat reader to see the 3d objects and can rotate the object as though they have the object itself.

This means that you would have to subscribe to the full suite that Adobe offers to use both Photoshop and Acrobat.

As for textures, this could be done by using Photoshop's Contact Sheet II this will create a page of thumbnails from a folder of images.

Granted this may be a work around for now, but it can work. At least until a new version of the free viewer becomes available.

#14 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

I'm working on a 3D freebie, and I was planning on including the resource files I used to make it, including the gtx files -- only to discover that they don't open in the Genetica Viewer, since I'm working in Genetica 4.0 Pro and the viewer only goes up to 3.5 right now.  :unknow: 

So, any ETA on a Genetica 4 Viewer?   :bang:

On a slight off topic, The latest version of photoshop can be of use here. I supports a 3d format that Acrobat supports. Which means you can export a 3d object from your dedicated 3d app that photoshop understands like .obj. Then with photoshop export out that format to the format that acrobat understands.

In this scenario photoshop is acting as a bridge, but your viewers can use the free adobe acrobat reader to see the 3d objects and can rotate the object as though they have the object itself.

This means that you would have to subscribe to the full suite that Adobe offers to use both Photoshop and Acrobat.

As for textures, this could be done by using Photoshop's Contact Sheet II this will create a page of thumbnails from a folder of images.

Granted this may be a work around for now, but it can work. At least until a new version of the free viewer becomes available.

The freebie's intended to be used in DAZStudio (which is free), and the 3D resource files will open in Blender (which is free), so there's that.  I'm using Genetica for its textures, for use I'll have those rendered to jpg anyway.  If anybody wants to see the pretty nodes in the gtx files they can use Genetica's on-trial download, but that only works for 30 days unless they buy in.  So it'd be nice if v4 of the Viewer was available, but not a necessity.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

#15 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

Agreed, i have plenty of GTX files on my blog, that anyone who doesnt own 4.X cannot open and use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users