• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I was wondering if it was possible to use this program to generate a board texture where you can specify exactly how many boards wide and high you wanted the pattern to be. I know that to some extent this is controllable with scale, but that scales the pattern uniformly in both horizontal and vertical directions (not to mention that non integer scale factors don't seem to be distinct from scaling by the nearest integer), which doesn't give me any real control over how exactly how wide the boards are supposed to be relative to how tall they are.

If this is already possible to do with the software, could someone explain how to do it? If not, could such a feature be considered for a future version of the software?

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

Unfortunately you won't be able to get more specific about the proportions of boards beyond the options you already found. If you want full control over your textures, you'd need to open the GTX files generated by Wood Workshop in our full texture editing application, Genetica: http://www.spiralgra...iz/genetica.htm

The only other option for controlling board proportions in Wood Workshop is the Long/Extra Long option shown below.

Attached Images

• Long_and_Extra_Long.JPG

#3 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply. What about some facility for making the texture seamless with respect to other textures, instead of with respect to itself? So that placing certain identically sized textures immediately beside, above, or below a given texture would produce a seamless (rectangular) image? As an upshot it would enable the creation of arbitrarily large textures for the end user, and not be limited to up to 3000x3000, which might be useful.

#4 Pawz

Pawz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply. What about some facility for making the texture seamless with respect to other textures, instead of with respect to itself? So that placing certain identically sized textures immediately beside, above, or below a given texture would produce a seamless (rectangular) image? As an upshot it would enable the creation of arbitrarily large textures for the end user, and not be limited to up to 3000x3000, which might be useful.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but, can't you just render out a square, then stack 2 squares on top of each other to get a seamless texture that's rectangular? Or perhaps try a Move & Repeat node, so that the texture you want actually takes up 1/2 the square.

Apart from that, there really isn't a way to render out a rectangular shape, as far as I know anyways.

#5 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but, can't you just render out a square, then stack 2 squares on top of each other to get a seamless texture that's rectangular?

Well yes... but then it repeats halfway through, which I'm not too keen on. Anyways, the idea would be to create a multi-square texture that's usually LARGER than what the software itself can generate as a single texture. 3000x3000 isn't necessarily enough. Especially when you're intending to use it at 1200 dpi.

Edited by MarkT, 28 April 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#6 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

For what it's worth, in Genetica 3.0 (edition Pro and above), we're increasing the render resolution to 6000 x 6000.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users