• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

It is my understanding that Gentica is no longer under any active development, and I anticipate that it, as well as this website are likely to go away eventually.   I urgently request that someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

So that said, when using the some texture packs, I find that Genetica ends up fetching resources remotely to support the capabilities requested.   If or when Genetica goes away, will this data be available to download so that it can be permanently cached on a computer and the software will continue to work, or will it end up breaking Genetica?

#2 Vicces1212

Vicces1212

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:50 AM

It is my understanding that Gentica is no longer under any active development, and I anticipate that it, as well as this website are likely to go away eventually.   I urgently request that someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

So that said, when using the some texture packs, I find that Genetica ends up fetching resources remotely to support the capabilities requested.   If or when Genetica goes away, will this data be available to download so that it can be permanently cached on a computer and the software will continue to work, or will it end up breaking Genetica?

I think Genetica will work, even if it can't download the requested resources from the library. I think the software already have some error handling on this, it's basically the same case when you don't have internet access. Also, if you've already downloaded everything you need, you can easily back-up these assets from the Genetica folder (or somwhere in documents or AppData, i'm not 100% sure where these downloads end-up).

Edited by Vicces1212, 03 April 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#3 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

And if you don't have everything you need, then you can''t use the resource at all.

That's my point... these resources that are currently downloaded as needed from the site should at least be available to be installed locally so that the software does not require internet access to get them.

Ideally, I'd like to see the author open-source this software if he is taking it offline for good... because then there is a possibility that someone could port it to non-Windows computers, heck, I'd probably give porting it a try if that were to ever happen.

But failing that, some assurance that the software is at least going to continue to function into perpetuity as it always has would be nice, and really, the only way to do that is to remove its dependence on having an internet connection to be fully functional.

Edited by MarkT, 12 April 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Vicces1212

Vicces1212

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:25 AM

And if you don't have everything you need, then you can''t use the resource at all.

That's my point... these resources that are currently downloaded as needed from the site should at least be available to be installed locally so that the software does not require internet access to get them.

Ideally, I'd like to see the author open-source this software if he is taking it offline for good... because then there is a possibility that someone could port it to non-Windows computers, heck, I'd probably give porting it a try if that were to ever happen.

But failing that, some assurance that the software is at least going to continue to function into perpetuity as it always has would be nice, and really, the only way to do that is to remove its dependence on having an internet connection to be fully functional.

I don't think the servers ever gonna be offline . By the way If you fear of that happening, you can back up your Resource Library from "C:/Spiral Graphics/Resource Library" folder, and other presets from the Genetica installation folder. Genetica run properly without internet, so if you have those files backed up, you can't lose anything even if the servers are down... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users