3 replies to this topic

#1 breather

breather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm an intermediate user of Genetica - I bought 3.6 back in 2012 and have always been very pleased with this program's capabilities.

I have used the generated textures in some print projects with very good results.

Recently, I have a strong desire to get into 3D software, as up until now, I have only been involved with 2D work and software (AI, PS, Corel).

To start off with, I'd just like to be able to take a texture that I've made in Genetica and its map/s (sorry I am still learning about bump maps etc), and apply them to simple 3D shapes like spheres and cubes, with some lighting effects. My intention is to show some potential clients how the textures can be applied, and the level of detail etc.

For a 3D beginner like myself, what is out there in terms of a software that can do this relatively easily? I don't really need animations etc, just something that lets me apply textures to static 3D objects.

In the long term, I'd like to be able to apply the textures to more complex 3D objects, and also learn how to draw those objects (and to be able to rotate them so the client can view from any angle etc.)

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Breather

#2 JanLien

JanLien

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

I think you need Genetica 4.0 for what you describe. See also the video tutorials that Spiral Graphics provides.

http://www.spiralgra...tutor/index.htm

#3 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

One of the easiest programs designed for beginners is Bryce from Daz. It is very old and cost about $20. But for learning 3d it still is one of the better programs.

It lacks more advanced features like point manipulation, sub divisional polygons, and so forth. But for getting to grips with 3d space, Boolean operations, assigning materials, creating landscapes, it will do the job. It is also fairly good at converting files as it has a fairly wide variety of formats to import and export from.

If you would like something free, Blender is the next in line. It is more advanced in what it can do, but is more of a learning curve.

#4 breather

breather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys. 

I'll check out Bryce. Looks quite interesting.

Incidentally, over the last few days, I've downloaded and started playing with Blender. It's not easy, but easy enough to map a texture to a simple shape, which is really the only thing I wanted it for for now really.

Bryce looks incredibly simple to use for what seems to be a good program (I watched a few YouTube videos for it).

Thanks again,

Breather

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users