51 replies to this topic

#1 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

You may remember Robert Waterworth's previous documentary, Journey to the Edge of the Universe, that made extensive use of Genetica. He's now working on a new war-themed documentary that is shaping up to be quite impressive. Here's a ship model that was created with Genetica as its primary texturing tool.

Battle_1.JPG

Battle_2.JPG

#2 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

I simply loved the documentary about space, cant wait to see this one, stunning quality in those pics, its great to see the shieldsup close in the render, with the bump/normal/displacement (?) doing its magic :D

i fear it will be another 6 months before it airs overhere :clap:

#3 manleystanley

manleystanley

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

:clap:
"An eye for an eye leads to a blind world" R.T.

#4 waterworth

waterworth

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I simply loved the documentary about space, cant wait to see this one, stunning quality in those pics, its great to see the shieldsup close in the render, with the bump/normal/displacement (?) doing its magic :D

i fear it will be another 6 months before it airs overhere :clap:

Hello all,
Unfortunately this show will take longer than that. "Journey to the Edge of the Universe" was more than a year in the making. This show has only just started production and I have a much small crew this time. I 'll keep updating as we go.
I have to say I have been surfacing models for over 15 years. finding the right textures has always been a pain. I can't say enough about Genetica. I really love working with this app.
If any one is interested I could post a brake down of my surfacing pipeline. all my work is done in Maya, but my work flow would be similar in any other 3D app.
Cheers
Robert

#5 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hi!

Welcome to the forums :clap:

I personally would love to see more on how its done, and it might enrich the forums even more :D

#6 waterworth

waterworth

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hi!

Welcome to the forums :clap:

I personally would love to see more on how its done, and it might enrich the forums even more :D

If any of you have read the review on Genetica in issue 114 of 3D World, you see that the reviewer knocked Genetica for "Results still not as photorealistic as MaPZone"

That maybe true, but for someone like me who works with 3D applications I prefer it the way it is. Photo realism comes at the end of a complicated rendering process. Photorealism is a combination of surfacing qualities. The texture is made up of texture, color, specular, defuse, occlusion, shadows etc.
So when I am painting up a shader I want to have as much control as possible. One big problem with photographs as texture is they tend to have all those qualities baked into it already.
Lets look at the sail shader for example. I start with a very simple cloth texture generated in Genentica. I then make adjustments in Photoshop to achieve the right color pattern. I then paint in dirt and other effects like blood stains, threads etc. I then create a separate image to work as my bump map. Here I use the Normal map from Genetica and carefully add the layers I need to bring out the right surfacing quality.
I don't want to use the dirt maps or the blood splatter in the bump map, just the tread texture.
Now I will let the rendering application do it's job. I used Mental Ray for this render. I can control the direction of the light therefore the quaility of the shadows, and the ambient occlusion.
Here is a list of the render layers I produce for an image like this.
Defues pass
specular pass
ambient occlusion pass
shadow pass

with these individual layers I then load them into Photoshop or AfterFX and composit them together.

I really find Genetica powerful tool.

Attached Images

• sailtexture_cu.jpg

#7 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for dropping by, Rob. :D

#8 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

I love the detail in the sail, are the blood stains also genetica based? (i can imagine the canvas can make such.)

#9 waterworth

waterworth

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

I love the detail in the sail, are the blood stains also genetica based? (i can imagine the canvas can make such.)

All the dirt and stitching as well as the blood where done in Photoshop. I use custom brushes to paint up those layers. Sometime I keep the dirt map separate, and using it in Maya as a defuse map. It helps to dull down any specular highlights in those needed areas. Not needed in this case so much, but it would work on shinny surfaces like metal, then the dirt would dull down the affected areas.
Rob

#10 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

I see, thanks for the explenation, a while ago i made some high res dirt maps for someone (i made them in genetica so they were seamless, he was pretty happy with them haha :D )

#11 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

Nice textures, on the shields were they made in Genetica or did you layer/composite them in Photoshop?

#12 waterworth

waterworth

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

Nice textures, on the shields were they made in Genetica or did you layer/composite them in Photoshop?

Hi
The wood and metal trim texture is from Genetica, the graphics are layers done in Photoshop.

Edited by waterworth, 09 April 2009 - 05:16 AM.

#13 Music3000

Music3000

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Ok thanks for the info, i use a similar method sometimes and composite with various layers. I was thinking they may have been canvas based possibly. :clap:

#14 waterworth

waterworth

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hello,
Just wanted to let you know I will by posting some new renders this weekend.

#15 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Nifty, looking forward to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users