25 replies to this topic

#1 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:04 AM

I always thought there was something odd about the mars pics, but it gets even worse,

on the rovers is a sundial for color calibration seen as below, (pic was taken back on earth)
wee002.jpg
BUT on some images made by the rovers (and nasa's comments below the pictures was approximate true color, but they look much the same as false color ones)
the sundial was oddly colored like a sepia filter was applied and brightness was upped
sundial.jpg

notice that he blue piece of the sundial is red? that depicts that sky on mars is blue (or in the desert on earth ..)
i made a comparison shot, what i did was autolevels, autocolor, and adjust brightness, looks alot diffrent then before :P

Comparison.jpg

(bewerkt means edited, origineel means original, i made the comparison in dutch, sorry haha)

stuff to think about :(

#2 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

The image on the right is indeed the real colors of Mars if anyone ever had doubts. What makes the skies on mars is the high amount of dust which contain high traces of iron oxide therefore giving mars it's reddish-pink skies. Now it is true that the sky on mars can appear at times bluish when there is less dust in the atmosphere but it would appear to be more of a white but sense mars always has planet-wide dust storms the atmosphere will mostly remain reddish-pink or even at time pale salmon in color.

Edited by Sethren, 27 January 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#3 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:14 AM

This is true colors for mars at least terrain wise. It is more orangy here. I think image above may be a bit saturated but i am not entirely sure.

http://www.esa.int/i..._square_2_H.JPG

#4 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

This is true colors for mars at least terrain wise. It is more orangy here. I think image above may be a bit saturated but i am not entirely sure.

http://www.esa.int/i..._square_2_H.JPG

well on the right its original, ive downloaded all the spirit pics (some are HUGE :S )
now im downloading all opportunity's pics, i believe the sky is reddish because of dust storms, we had those back in iraq (like an orange wall rushing towards you, very surreal) but something shady is going on with the sundial...

#5 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

well on the right its original, ive downloaded all the spirit pics (some are HUGE :S )
now im downloading all opportunity's pics, i believe the sky is reddish because of dust storms, we had those back in iraq (like an orange wall rushing towards you, very surreal) but something shady is going on with the sundial...

Exactly, the planetary wide dust. I watched some videos of those dust storms that you speak of. They look creepy yet fascinating. I'd love to be in one but call me crazy. :(

Here is another one to look at. Here all NASA used was an RGB image so nothing should have been faked with this one. I think this is very close true color.

http://photojournal....eg/PIA04995.jpg

#6 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:42 AM

Exactly, the planetary wide dust. I watched some videos of those dust storms that you speak of. They look creepy yet fascinating. I'd love to be in one but call me crazy. :(

Here is another one to look at. Here all NASA used was an RGB image so nothing should have been faked with this one. I think this is very close true color.

http://photojournal....eg/PIA04995.jpg

Well it makes your eyes hurt and youll sneeze pebbles :P

what my point was that on pictures of diffrent dates sometimes the sundial has its original colors and on some it doesnt, and on some pics the solar panels look almost dust free (no matter how fast i drive, dust wont blow off the car overhere :S)

but its at least an interesting subject for discussion haha :(

#7 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

Indeed there is something up with that sun dial. :(

#8 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

Indeed there is something up with that sun dial. :P

Seen the diffrent pics? :(

it surprises me it wasnt known earlyer

#9 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

Good work Funkdude! You noticed something by observation that I didn't know until I read an article about it a few years ago. Nasa does indeed color-correct Mars photos as a PR move in order to make the photos better meet the expectations of the public. According to what I read, original Mars photos are hard to tell apart from rocky desert photos taken on Earth, and Nasa feels that the public won't be as excited about photos that look like they could have been taken at home.

It was a while ago that I read this, and I don't have a link any more.

#10 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Huh. :)

Edited by Sethren, 27 January 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#11 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

Good work Funkdude! You noticed something by observation that I didn't know until I read an article about it a few years ago. Nasa does indeed color-correct Mars photos as a PR move in order to make the photos better meet the expectations of the public. According to what I read, original Mars photos are hard to tell apart from rocky desert photos taken on Earth, and Nasa feels that the public won't be as excited about photos that look like they could have been taken at home.

It was a while ago that I read this, and I don't have a link any more.

Well i didnt "discover" this alone, i just thought something was a bit off, and i started to look, and i came across an article with the pictures of the sundials, i did make the comparison image, (i have all the opportunity pics and edited versions, ill do the same with the spirit ones soon :) )

i think nasa holds back even more news but eventually it will leak out someway, it always happens like that :blink:

#12 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:09 AM

I just want an alien invasion real soon here. (All kidding aside of course) :)

Edited by Sethren, 28 January 2008 - 02:10 AM.

#13 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

I just want an alien invasion real soon here. (All kidding aside of course) :)

Well, i hope they will be nice :) (and cute :) :blink: )

#14 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

As long as they don't look like the Turkish ET. :)

#15 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

As long as they don't look like the Turkish ET. :)

*FART* :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users