7 replies to this topic

#1 hde

hde

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:07 AM

Hello,

i hope it's allowed to post some scifi textures. All made with Genetica. No Photoshop afterwards at the moment. It's planned for a little one level 3d realtime demo or only just for fun. If you find it useful (only nor non commercial work) you can contact me.
With friendly permission from ~wojtar-stock to use his metal texture for non-commercial nonprofit work.

scifi_wall01.jpg

scifi_wall02.jpg

scifi_floor02.jpg

#2 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

They look great! :thumbsup:

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

Awesome textures! I like the grating and overal dirty look :thumbsup:

#4 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Fairly convincing surfaces there. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

#5 Kessler

Kessler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

One question, it says diffuse map on the pictures, but it looks like an "old school" texture with shadows and highlights painted in?

#6 hde

hde

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

There is really nothing manually painted afterwards in Photoshop. All is done in Genetica, mostly in Canvas.

genetica_scifi.jpg

#7 Kessler

Kessler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

I am asking because these texures could work well in a Doom3 level for example (the style fits very well). But in this case the diffuse map may only contain the colour values, no painted shadows and highlights. These come from the normal and specular textures in the Doom3 engine. Most Genetica textures have a bump map layer that can be converted into a normal map very well.

Edited by Kessler, 06 November 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#8 hde

hde

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

I am asking because these texures could work well in a Doom3 level for example (the style fits very well). But in this case the diffuse map may only contain the colour values, no painted shadows and highlights. These come from the normal and specular textures in the Doom3 engine. Most Genetica textures have a bump map layer that can be converted into a normal map very well.

Some engines already work also today without bump/normal/specular map (e.g. Coppercube) for web / flash or low end computers. The only map type for this engines is the diffuse (color) map which contains in some cases a kind of pseudo bump and shadows to get a more realistic result. But you are right, in the most cases this will be done today with bump/normal/specular map and a good lightning processor from the engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users