• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Swine

Swine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

I tracked Atlas down and asked if he would consider open sourcing Genetica.  This was his response.  "Yes, I would consider open sourcing it, although I don't really have the time to spend on it right now. Such a project would need someone to take charge."  So spread the word, we need a developer(s).

#2 Carel5103

Carel5103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

Yes Please  :dance: It would be so great.

#3 Catsy99

Catsy99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Desperate for Genetica to continue - please, please, please. I use other software, but ALWAYS come back to Geneticia - it's got so many great features, simple to use, I can achieve seamless artwork here that I can't on any other software.

#4 Carel5103

Carel5103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

@Catsy99. I agree Genetica(the "Synthesis node") is invaluable. 2 days ago I needed a seamless 4096 x 4096 brick texture and got a nice looking image(Samp_01) from the internet and created a seamless brick texture(Samp_02) of non repeatable bricks that I have tried endless times with photoshop.

Samp_01.jpg

Samp_02.jpg

If only I can get a Sweep Gradient Node in Genetica it would be the most valuable software for me

#5 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

I agree and am willing to help where possible although I am not a programmer. I sell seamless textures on various stock sites. No other software does as good a job with photographic originals as does Genetica.

Attached Images

• acg02765lr_butterflies.jpg

Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#6 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

It's been a while since I visited the forums.  I wish I had seen this thread when it first came up because this is something I would be *VERY* interested in helping with.  I may even be willing to take the lead in this regard, but am hesitant to commit to this before knowing the code thoroughly or else the wait times could be insufferably long for users with issues, and may discourage people from wanting to use the software.

May I inquire as to approximately how many lines of code it is so I can have an idea how long it might take to become generally familiar with the code base? 

Edited by MarkT, 17 August 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#7 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:10 PM

It's been a while since I visited the forums.  I wish I had seen this thread when it first came up because this is something I would be *VERY* interested in helping with.  I may even be willing to take the lead in this regard, but am hesitant to commit to this before knowing the code thoroughly or else the wait times could be insufferably long for users with issues, and may discourage people from wanting to use the software.

May I inquire as to approximately how many lines of code it is so I can have an idea how long it might take to become generally familiar with the code base? 

You should contact Atlas and see whether he can answer your questions.

Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#8 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

I've sent off the email several days ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.  Thought I'd pop back in here to see if there were any developments.

Alas.

Edited by MarkT, 31 August 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#9 BubbaRichard

BubbaRichard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

I would be interested, OpenSource though, by default, is open so anything that is being worked on is being released to the public for no charge in that case.

I would guess that Genetica is in c++ but I think I've received a New members can't link error in it before.  Does anybody know off hand?

Regards,

Bubba

Edited by BubbaRichard, 15 September 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#10 MarkT

MarkT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

I would be interested, OpenSource though, by default, is open so anything that is being worked on is being released to the public for no charge in that case.

That would be the general idea behind open sourcing it, yes.

Trademarks and copyrights would still apply, and copying conditions could still be decided upon by the copyright holder.

I still have not yet heard anything back from Atlas since I emailed him, however.   I do not know how else to reach him.

#11 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I think that if Atlas gets in touch with Allegorithmic (Now Adobe, so perhaps that drops/increases the odds) that at least the Allegorighmic people there will be interested in the noises, synthesis etc, and perhaps port it over to Substance Designer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users