12 replies to this topic

#1 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

My attempt at creating some desert sandstone along a mountain face.

Attached Images

• Sandstone_Wall.JPG

Attached Files

#2 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

This is just incredible Chris. You are an amazing artist!!! :D :D :D
I love swimming but more than that I love Genetica!

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:23 AM

And a good one too, i imagine this is in areas with litle wind due to hard edges :), it would be neat to make sets perhaps, rough, weathered and very eroded :)

Looks pretty inpressive, i like the many layers the stone appears to have :thumbsup:

#4 Eclair

Eclair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

Wow! Very realistic looking. Nice work.

#5 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Very powerful water flow is mainly responsible for the shapes of the desert features i had seen while out there. I was blown away by what the power of water can do to terrains. They have dust storms out there and i had seen three monsoons at once. Utah is just great, i did not want to leave. What is lacking is the chipped/chiseled look i was shooting for and it does need stained erosion coming down the wall face. I had seen a lot of that out there.

#6 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have seen similar terrain while traveling though the US. The national parks always fascinated me.

Your skills are amazing Chris. The sandstone wall looks so real. You should publish a tutorial with simple examples how to make textures with Genetica explaining the process step by step. There is no tutorial like this in the market yet.

#7 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

I don't think i have the skills to publish a tutorial. Gordon offered some help in that area but i am not sure if i want to do it or not.

This is more or less what i was trying to create. The colors and shapes are still off to me.

Attached Images

• 0019.JPG

#8 MonsterMind

MonsterMind

Guru

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Nice picture. What you created has its own beauty. A replication of parts of the photo I assume will be easy with Genetica 3.5.

#9 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

I could seamlessly stitch the photo but the terrains i am wanting to do in Terragen are huge so i could not render an image large enough to justify the look i am after. I am doing all this procedurally within Terragen which is still very hard to achieve. For close-ups this on the other hand would work just fine.

#10 Mr_Lamppost

Mr_Lamppost

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

I could seamlessly stitch the photo but the terrains i am wanting to do in Terragen are huge so i could not render an image large enough to justify the look i am after. I am doing all this procedurally within Terragen which is still very hard to achieve. For close-ups this on the other hand would work just fine.

Just a thought.

Could you create several Genetica maps and combine them in Terragen using slightly different scales to hide the tileing. I am thinking of the small scale Terragen node intensive detail, leave the large scale features that need to be unique to Terragen.

#11 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Just a thought.

Could you create several Genetica maps and combine them in Terragen using slightly different scales to hide the tileing. I am thinking of the small scale Terragen node intensive detail, leave the large scale features that need to be unique to Terragen.

I could but it would take so many variations and also i need a way to line up the cracks in the rocks faces as well. I actually had considered this but i try to avoid importing texture maps when ever i can. Also still, the noises i used in Genetica are not what i have in mind. I still need that flaky/chiseled surface.

#12 Mr_Lamppost

Mr_Lamppost

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

I could but it would take so many variations and also i need a way to line up the cracks in the rocks faces as well. I actually had considered this but i try to avoid importing texture maps when ever i can. Also still, the noises i used in Genetica are not what i have in mind. I still need that flaky/chiseled surface.

I was looking at your first post and thinking that you could bake the wood grain detail (I assume itís wood grain; I havenít had a chance to look at the .gtx yet), detail into a displacement map which would save you a whole host of TG nodes. I throw functions at everything in TG to avoid using imported maps but I would hesitate before trying to reproduce wood grain in TG.

#13 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Shoot, i forgot what noises i used to get this effect. It's not a wood noise which i am sure of.

Using the Surface Layer Node i actually am trying to mix noise stretches (80 or so along the ?-axis) and using blend density to mix the elongated noises to create the strata effect. It is still a WIP but i am getting there little by little.

Uh-Oh, this is turning into a Terragen post. :winkglasses: :winkglasses:

Too bad Terragen does not save textures imported into the software inside the .TGD files like Vue. I hate saving loads of image files everywhere.

Edited by Chris, 31 August 2009 - 05:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users