• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Just checked Atlas's profile -- it says the last time he was here was Mar 28 2016.  I'm using Genetica to work up textures for User Generated Content in Rollercoaster Tycoon World, and I can't recommend this excellent software because it's abandon-ware!   :bang:   Frustrated, but mainly sad.

Aside from that, anybody know if Atlas is okay?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

#2 Poseidon

Poseidon

Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Yes, Atlas is fine.

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

Hey BethQQQ.

I havent been very active recently on the forum, but i just wanted to share my thoughts.

Even if Genetica doesn't seem to be in active development any more, I still find myself using it occasionally. Its functionality is still great, the amount of features is still great, and the features are terrific in my opinion.

Nowadays I use Genetica to make hard-surface height maps like sci fi floors, but also for decals (I love the canvas). And grunge maps.
It still has features that other similar applications (Substance Designer, Filter Forge) lack, like the transmit node, caustics etc.

Regarding your project, if you want thoughts on it or feedback, the forum has always been very helpful.
Its frustrating to see something you loved stop growing. The 3d features could have been something cool, but I think Spiralgraphics just didn't have the manpower to keep improving it, as well as other texture software companies were zooming in on that area too.

In short, I see it as a valuable tool still, but its no longer my only texture tool.

#4 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Even if Genetica doesn't seem to be in active development any more, I still find myself using it occasionally. Its functionality is still great, the amount of features is still great, and the features are terrific in my opinion . . .

It's still my primary texture-creation tool!  It's just that when I get amazed and appreciative questions on how I did something and I point them here, what they find is still priced way too high for the hobbyist market even if it was active, still requires resources on this server for a lot of the features so is a very risky investment, and has a quirky (at best) interface that looks like it has no chance of ever improving.  Much as I still love it, how can I recommend it?

If Atlas is burned-out on it that's understandable, but there was talk last year of handing this to other developers or even open-sourcing it -- some kind of path forward.  A few weeks ago I finally upgraded to Studio because I needed to animate something -- you'd think a couple hundred bucks hitting his bank account from this would've struck a spark?  Apparently not.

Edited by BethQQQ, 10 May 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#5 JanLien

JanLien

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

This is an amazing software and I still discover new ways of doing textures. It's functionality is great and I never had a problem using this server's resources. Even if it is not developed further I like it and will continue to use it. I also find that the moderator does an excellent job keeping the site clean of the occational spams.

#6 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

. . .  I never had a problem using this server's resources . . .

I've never had a problem with Genetica downloading from the server either, unless I didn't have internet access at the time, which isn't the server's fault -- it's the program's design that requires access to download resources, instead of allowing the option to do it all at once.

Of course if Atlas stops paying the bill the server'll go down for good, at which point its flawless service up till then won't mean much.  IIUC the way things are set up now nobody else can do anything about it.  Which makes committing $539 US (today's price for Genetica 4.0 Studio) a bit of a stretch, especially for a gamer to use for making freely sharable content.

#7 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

I still lurk here from time to time and still actively use Genetica for various projects. So, in many ways it still holds it's value well and I am very grateful for that and all that Atlas has done over the years. I will still be using it for many years to come. It would be good to hear what the software's ultimate fate will be. I am sure we are all hungry for an answer with what ever the decision may turn out to be in the end. At the moment it all just looms overhead with uncertainty.

#8 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:05 AM

True. I'm happy Genetica didn't go the Groboto way (Deleting the forum, and then say for a more then a year that you're working to get it back up, as well as still accepting payment but not delivering.) I like that Atlas was honest and open on the subject. It would be neat if Genetica could go open source, or if another texture software company could buy it and incorporate Genetica's functionality inside it.

Edited by Funkdude, 11 May 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#9 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:02 AM

Agreed.

#10 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

Agreed as well.

#11 Silkrooster

Silkrooster

Grandmaster

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

He still has his loyal supporters. Just waiting in the wings.

#12 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hey guys! Sorry for being a stranger recently. I am indeed fine. After quite a few years glued to my computer, I decided to cool my jets for a bit and wander around North America. Here are some photos I took recently: https://500px.com/atlasr

A few weeks ago I finally upgraded to Studio because I needed to animate something -- you'd think a couple hundred bucks hitting his bank account from this would've struck a spark?  Apparently not.

I really appreciate the support, whether that be now or over the years. Regarding your purchase striking a spark, Genetica is a very complex piece of code that involved over a dozen developers over the years, and paying developers really added up. Unfortunately Genetica cost a bit more to produce than it made in sales, so I personally never profited financially from the project, although I did get to experience the deep joy of building something that I loved, and serving a passionate community.

The servers aren't getting turned off as long as there are people using Genetica. Your contribution will be used for the server costs.

#13 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:56 AM

After an epic digital journey, you're off on an epic analog journey. Well deserved man. Awesome pics. Enjoy!

#14 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

Agreed and some very nice photographs there. Have you been to the Pacific Northwest yet?

#15 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Agreed and some very nice photographs there. Have you been to the Pacific Northwest yet?

That's coming up soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users