#1 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hello, Atlas.

Has there been any progress in new ideas for updates, a blog perhaps, a newsletter maybe? We have all been curious as to what has been happening the past several months. Please keep in touch. :bye:

#2 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

No reply until now  :(

#3 Funkdude

Funkdude

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

That might tell us enough im afraid. Its been awesome the past years, but it kind of looks that Genetica's prime time might be behind us unfortunately.

#4 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:26 PM

Over a month and no reply. I have a feeling it is time to abandoned ship. Maybe?

#5 gabu

gabu

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:15 AM

But abandon ship for what?

What are the alternatives to Genetica?

#6 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:15 AM

I should have been more specific in my wording. I meant this forum overall. I have been silent for a while here now but not much has been happening for a long time. I will still use the software as i always have. At some point though, you have to ask yourself when does genetica get left behind to more advance texture softwares. Software technology is competitive and catches up fast in this market. You lag behind too much and you burn up.

I would rather not mention alternatives here, with respect to genetica but they are out there.

#7 JanLien

JanLien

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

I agree. I like Genetica. If a new version comes out I will buy it otherwise I am happy with what it already offers. Concerning this forum there is so much free samples for experimentation and learning that I will be a constant visitor here.

#8 Sign Guy

Sign Guy

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

I can't speak for Atlas but I tend to think Genetica may have reached the end of its development path for a few reasons:

1. The market is fractionalized with lots of competing products. I personally prefer Genetica over anything else I've found, however, but that may have to do with the kinds of tiles I've found that do well commercially. I'm not a big user of seamless textures. I'm a developer/publisher of them and I look at what sells and what doesn't at my sites and the stock sites I license to. What I see is that photo based tiles make up 80% to 90% of our sales vs. 10% to 20% procedural tiles. Genetica stands head and shoulders above competitors in terms of power and versatility when working with photographic originals.

2. It may be that there isn't a whole lot of improvement or new features left to add and/or the cost of adding them would exceed any reasonable profit projection that would result. The same reasoning may apply to licensees. I upgraded from version 3.6 to 4.0 more as a support gesture for the developers of an application from which I earn profits. While there were certainly lots of new things in 4.0, I can't say that there's much there that changes or improves capability, time savings or profits for what I use Genetica to create and sell.

3. The market for tile making software may be declining. We hear a lot of "We can make our own tiles in a couple of minutes" from prospective buyers of our tiles.

That said, the subject of the activity level of this forum is another matter altogether. We own a license for a competitive product that typically takes ten to twenty times longer to render an image than does Genetica. As such we rarely open it and have not kept up on upgrades. Yet their site and forum is incredibly active as compared to here. They enjoy an Alexa rank of 69,807 as compared to 559,672 for SpiralGraphics.biz. The lower the number the better the rank.

What that says to me is that they are better marketers and SEO engineers. Perhaps Spiral Graphics should focus on that since Genetica is, IMHO, a superior product.

Edited by Sign Guy, 17 June 2015 - 08:59 AM.

Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.

#9 BethQQQ

BethQQQ

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

If Genetica's reached the end of it's rope, I'd disagree that this is the natural end of its development path -- I think it could regain if not surpass its earlier promenance with a few simple (please note I'm not saying easy, just simple) fixes:

1.  Offline usability:  right now the program's severly limited without access to a library of resources on this server -- the vast majority of today's laptops can run it easily, but we're not always online.  And if the company goes out of business, that makes the program practically crippleware.  We should be able to download everything needed for off-line use, the inability to do that is damaging to customer confidence.  And if this "feature" is actually a form of DRM?  :bang:   It's been years since that was considered acceptable behaivior in this kind of a program, hasn't it?

2.  Price:  Are these prices really competitive?  (Notice I'm not saying comparable -- I consider it so superior to its competitors there's little basis for comparison, but that doesn't matter if people don't buy.)  I bought Basic on sale, and wouldn't've upgraded to Pro if I hadn't needed one of the features at the same time there was a 50%-off sale.  Now there's a 40%-off sale -- how much am I willing to spend to upgrade for animation when the program may be nearly unusable soon?

3.  The Viewer:  with v3 if you wanted to make a texture for somebody, you could give them the gtx file and with the viewer they'd have a lot of usable options unique to Genetica (ability to change the seed, for example).  With v4, the only way you can to that is ask them to install a 30-day demo.  For me, this is a particularly annoying feature loss . . . but one that could be fixed, along with the point above, by making the Basic version free, setting the Pro version lower than the current Basic price, and setting the Studio version lower than the current Pro price.  Upgrade all previous users accordingly, of course -- would be frustraing for people who've bought Studio recently, but how many could there be under the circumstances?  (I'd recommend refunds, but I'm not sure that's possible.)

Getting past quick-fixes, there's:

4.  The Manual/Tutorials:  the manual's good but not great (I still can't figure out how/why remap does what it does, much as I love it it's been pretty much trial'n'error), and a wider range of show-off-the-stuff tutorials might be tempting.  In years past the forums could be relied on to answer most questions, which is lovely, but given how slow it's been this is another customer confidence issue.

5.  Rebranding:  look up Genetica on Wikipedia and you'll find it's a bio-sciences journal -- that's most results in the search engines, too.  Spiralgraphics.com sells t-shirts.  New name and a re-established presense (after dealing with the above) might go a long way.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

#10 Atlas

Atlas

Staff

• Admin
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all your thoughtful comments and for all the love and support you’ve shown me and Spiral Graphics over the years. Running this company has truly been a labor of love, and it’s been an honor serving so many talented and passionate people. I am awed by and truly appreciate all the passion, effort, and dedication that our community has shown. Despite over a decade pouring my heart and soul into Spiral, I wasn’t able to turn it into a thriving business, and I reached the point where I had to consider that life is a fleeting gift of inestimable value, and that our years must be spent carefully. At the same time, Genetica is a valuable tool that is loved by many, so it’ll take careful thought how to guide it to the next phase of its lifecycle in a way that will allow as many people as possible to benefit from the half-century of developer hours that have been poured into it. Adjusting the pricing to place it within more people’s reach is one option I’m considering.

#11 MichaelH

MichaelH

Forum Master

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

:firefirefire: :dance: :rock: :yahoo:

There is a chance that this is not the end of my favored programm in the last 6 years.

I wish you the best for finding a way to let it go on.

#12 Allen 1

Allen 1

Alien Genius

• Full Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thank you chiming in Atlas. It was a great ride while it lasted and quite an education with some freinds made along the way. I understand life gets in the way and alterations have to be made with some sacrifices. This is the world we live in. Life itself is the most precious. There are some things no matter how much you want to do them, sometimes you just have to let go but perhaps there are other doors to open, other callings that are yet unknown. You did your best as a devleoper. Genetica will always hold a special place for me. I will always feel the need to tinker with it, like legos. LOL! What ever decision you have to make, take your time and do what needs to be done. The world still moves on and we will adjust.

#13 LuKeStorm

LuKeStorm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

Hi,i'm want that the tool back!It's a pioneer and if have suggestions by the community it's can beat Substance Designer 5,just have some suggestions:

-Customizable Interface

-Better Mechanims of texture generation,(Noises,Tools,etc.)

-Support of all type of arts,vectorized,photorealistic,etc.

#14 Ace Dragon

Ace Dragon

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hey Atlas, good to see that you popped in again, I was about to write Genetica off as dead software.

Have you considered offering the source code to licensees? This would allow the community to breathe life back into the product development-wise and things can get developed by way of a private GitHub repository, of course you would have the final say of which patches get it and you would still set releases. I think this might be the only way to go because you otherwise will not have the manpower to do much.

Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.

#15 krz9000

krz9000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

genetica is still the most powerful texture creating tool for me. i nver got whyt the hype around substance designer was so big. the good thing they did was their fileformat that could be brought into some of the big gameengines like ue4. id say if you still want to put abit of additional work in that would be the most likely way to sudden success. the amount of great features you have is still years ahead in my opinion. free gameengines have a massive hype right now and movig your awsome product closer to these kids could bring the breakthrough. but i could understand if you feel burned out from investing yourself...but still what you have there is so much more then the rest with all the hype. consider it pls...you deserve a breakthrough more then anyone else i know

Edited by krz9000, 08 July 2015 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users